Just bought 2003 Tokai LS 70

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyp2302

Reaction score
Hi,
Just bought this great LS 70 from a great bloke on Sunday. Saw it on ebay and drove for 3 hours to get it and 3 hours back. I just loved the look of the top. Just wanted any info as the neck pocket code doesn't mean much to me and I know people like pics.
Loads here.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Poe64/library/?sort=4&page=1

HDC is written in the bridge pickup cavity along with the numbers 10-29?
So I know the colour. It's a 2 piece solid top without a veneer. Checked it from neck pickup cavity and I think has a 2 piece mahogany back.
The tenon joint comes right flush with the pickup cavity.
It's a lovely guitar. I've already put a Gotoh aluminium tailpiece on it. Plays and sounds very nice.
Serial is 0308137 so 2003 August.
Many Thanks for any extra info.

Based on your description I think the model designation is correct.
It would be a ULS-70 , a UK export version, with the center dimple on the headstock for UK models.
The only thing that would have flagged it as a higher model would have been be a one piece back.
There is no production month designation in the serial number, just the year.

Happy new guitar day !
I love the top and nicely matched back.

I suspect the numbers in the cavity are the date of manufacture. Mine reads 8-28 which I have always presumes to be 28th August.

Many thanks.

Also would you know what pickups mine has. There is a photo of the neck pickup.

Cheers

Paladin2019 said:
I suspect the numbers in the cavity are the date of manufacture. Mine reads 8-28 which I have always presumes to be 28th August.
I've seen some LS models with second numbers as high as 45.
When I asked a Tokai rep, he said stamped number pairs (different from model number stamps),
are an internal number, and not a date.
It might have been a polite way of saying "none of your business and quit asking us" :)
as I'm sure that question has been asked a lot.
But it could somehow relate to inventory tracking, a line run number,
or just about anything relating to manufacturing.

mattim said:
Nice Tokai, the headstock shape is not the classiest one though ;-)

Matti

It is a great guitar Matti and has stopped me from splashing out on a LS160 for the time being. For some reason the UK headstock has never bothered me, which is just as well.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back