• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1980 LS-120 $2500 USD OBO

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoville

Reaction score
1980 Tokai LS-120 "Les Paul"
Some nicks and dings but in great shape with very little play wear.
Neck very straight, 2 tuner shafts very slightly bent, work fine and hard to see. Almost no fret wear. I got this directly from Japan nearly 10 years ago.
http://users.burlingtontelecom.net/[email protected]/tokai/Tokai%201980%20Les%20Paul.html

links at bottom show routes in detail.
Comes with nice SKB hardshell case.
I'll ship anywhere, you pay actual shipping. I'm in the North East USA.
Chris

[email protected]

80LS120.jpg

80LS120hs.jpg

villager said:
solid or veneer top?

It looks like a solid top but I'm not 100% sure.
In the right light you can see the wood grain of the pickup route continue up to the top surface. There is a very thin layer on top that looks to be be just the clear finish. Are there pics of a known veneer that I can look at and compare with?

scoville said:
villager said:
solid or veneer top?

It looks like a solid top but I'm not 100% sure.
In the right light you can see the wood grain of the pickup route continue up to the top surface. There is a very thin layer on top that looks to be be just the clear finish. Are there pics of a known veneer that I can look at and compare with?

I've got one, but this place doesn't allow attachments. PM me with your email address and I'll email you the photo (which is very clear).

It's not just the grain, but the position of the joint. Basically, with the pickup(s) out, look to see if the centre-seam of the top surface lines up directly with the joint you can see in the pickup cavity. If it doesn't, then naturally, it's a veneer on the top.

If it does, there's still a chance that there's a veneer - just possibly the underlying maple also had a perfectly aligned centre-seam. (Unlikely?)

I own an early 1980 120 with veneer. The veneer itself is too thin to be visible without sanding it a bit. It is also perfectly center seamed with the maple underneath.
As Mark says, flame running from top into the side cavity wall, is the best positive ID for a solid top.

Latest posts

Back