New To Tokai...LS-70...finally!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbear

Reaction score
I have been interested in a Tokai for a long time and today I was able to make that happen.
I traded for an LS-70, and I'd just like to hammer down some details as far as what I've got in my hands.
I don't know how to post pictures here, but...
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/292479-tokai-ls-70q-id.html#post5979766
So...can you help me with a couple of things:
1-Is the truss rod cover original? I understand that this is an MIJ but my research leaves me unclear about the three hole cover.
2-The SN is 9520XXX. Am I correct that this is a 1995?
3-Do the electronics look original?
Anything else that I can learn would be greatly appreciated.
I play a few mahogany LP-style solidbodies including Les Pauls (Gibson Trad Pro, Studio, and Trib...Edwards 98, and an Epi), an '81 Ibby Artist and a Yamaha SBG700s. This one is pretty impressive; quite a player.
I am not generally a quilt top fan, but...I'm not thinking I'm going to trade this guitar unless it's for another of the same with a different top.
Thanks so much folks.

I actually got a response to this on MyLp and apparently...the original seller posted on that board, so...if anyone is interested...
the link I posted will take you to the "for sale"...it's post#2.
Anything anyone can add is always appreciated.

Hi
this may not be an MIJ Tokai as the truss rod 3 screw and not 2 screw.
To the best of my memory no Japanese-made Love Rock ever had a 3 screw TRC - regardless of shape.
It could be Korean or the TRC has been swapped.
The 1995 Catalogue does show the MIJ LS-70 as having a 2 screw TRC.

Peter

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Apparently 3-screw covers while not common are not rare on MIJ's. The SN, cavity markings, and headstock shape indicate 1995 MIJ.

Hi jbear,

I beg to differ. As I stated MIJ Tokai did not use 3 screw TRC - period.
These were used on Korean and Chinese models to differentiate the Country of Manufacture.
I have the 1995 Tokai Japan catalogue and all have 2 screw TRC.
Yours does have moustache headstock and black back covers which is indicative of MIJ so...take off the TRC and see if there are 3 holes along the nut line. The original may have been replaced.

Peter

I will check that out. I did take the cover off the day I picked it up just to be sure the nut/rod were in good condition, but I didn't notice the hole config. I did notice that the screws didn't bite, so maybe you're right and I just didn't see the hole.
Seems as if it's got to be MIJ though considering...
-pocket stamp
-SN
-Headstock shape
-Model (is there an LS-70 from Korea or China?)
-the bridge posts are small Gibson-style and not slotted
-and the cavity covers as you mentioned.
Anyway...I am grateful for the insight. Bottom line it that I played it today through several amps and it is a hit with me. Super articulate and drives the amps sweetly. I play a lot of Robben Ford style jazz-blues with my LP's, Tele's, and Semis. This guitar hangs quite easily with the Gibsons. Weight is about the same as the Gibson Trad Pro (about 9-10 lbs or so).
So...Made in Japan...Serbia...Iceland...I'm keeping it. I am very much impressed with my first Tokai!

On another note...would you happen to know if the Orange Drops are OEM? Also...LS-70 in the cavity is pretty obvious but what is the other "S-56" I think it's stamped. I notice that these are different in various individuals w/in the same model.

Please post the pictures here using photo bucket or similar. I can't view the ones on that forum.

3 screw TRC is a red flag for Korean manufacturing, but the bridge is the best way to be sure.

Here's plenty of pics

https://plus.google.com/photos/100661410805038930814/albums/5926138163796859457

okay...so...3 screw...I checked+ all that stuff I listed = ?????
everything points to Mij...except the trussrod cover.

No debate needed, Made in Japan LS70Q...currently a LS107Q.

First of all ,the COLOUR.
Only made in Japan uses HRD, Heritage Dark Cherry.

The neck joint in the pickup cavity, made in Japan.

The bridge indicates, made in Japan.

The body, two piece, join straight down the middle, made in Japan.

Truss rod cover.
The previous owner removed the 2 screw cover, filled the bottom hole, then installed the 3 screw cover.

No wonder you like the way it plays/feels and sounds, it's a MIJ Tokai, what did you expect? :D

I still think its worth photographing what's under the TRC, but there's no doubt that guitar is MIJ.

I guess the cover could be an aftermarket hatchet job intended to replace a cover that was lost or broken.

Well...I didn't get a chance to take a picture today, but...it's definitely neat as a pin under the cover...no extra holes...no fills.
This guitar is just blowing me away the more I play it, and I've been over it with a keen eye...simply top-rate build quality and materials. The board is especially nice. The tone is just fat. PUP's remind me of Seth Lovers...just micro enough for that vintage sound. If I played heavy stuff that might be a problem, but as I think I said earlier, I am playing Robben Ford-ish stuff clean to moderate OD, and I like the way these respond to pick-attack. I will pull them to check out the baseplate. I am assuming (for the moment) that they are PAF II's by Gotoh. Might like some PIO's with a .015 neck cap, but I could just as easily leave it the way it is.
Anyway...I'm sold on the hype...it's not hype.

Hey Again,
I added some pictures of the bottoms of the PUP's and the hardware over on the post referenced earlier.
If you can't see them...the basic rundown is:
-PUP's have gold-colored baseplates and no markings.
-Bridge and Tailpiece are stamped "GOTOH JAPAN"
Anyone have thoughts on the PUPs? Darkish but very articulate. I like them.

Latest posts

Back