Tell me about my new MIJ Tokai.....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batotman

Reaction score
It was inevitable I'd end up here.

Here are the Tokai's I've purchased.....

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

And here is the one I ordered and don't know crap about....
f8_3.JPG

What I do know is its made in japan for north american market. ALS70 is what the seller thought it was but i don't even know what that is.

Whats a new one worth and what model is it likely to be? Also anyone know of any spec sheets?

JSD told me what I know so far. He said the dealer cost is nearly twice what I paid. [/img]

batotman said:
I think you will rather end up on the Les Paul Forum... :wink: Welcome!

What I do know is its made in japan for north american market. ALS70 is what the seller thought it was but i don't even know what that is.
I've read different explanations for the "A" letter in the past, e.g. that it means "for export" (outside of Japan). On the other hand new Korean models all use "A" in the 2003-2004 catalog while the Japanese models don't have it. "LS" is a Les Paul Standard copy, "70" the Japanese list price in Yen x 1,000. I would rather think that these models with the rounded cutaway were called NLS, see e.g Ned's (the site admin) review of his Paisley finished Love Rock with rounded horn on the main site:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-reviews.html

Whats a new one worth and what model is it likely to be? Also anyone know of any spec sheets?
I don't know if they were ever mentioned in the available catalogs (see the main site, too), but I remember seeing quite a few of them on the English version of the Tokai Gakki homepage:

http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~tokai/loverock.htm

JSD told me what I know so far. He said the dealer cost is nearly twice what I paid.
The biggest difference to your Korean model is the one-piece mahogany neck and the ABR-1 bridge with no extra posts and bushings like the Nashville style ones. The volume and tone knobs are reversed, too, to make it look less like a Gibson Les Paul.

batotman said:

I had a feeling we'd see you around here sooner or later....there goes the neighborhood....lol.

Welcome to the site...;)

Hans/Bato-

In late 2002 and 2003 Tokai made some Love Rocks specifically for North America that received the ALS model name. They have a different headstock and a more rounded horn that the Rest of World (ROW) models.

Batoman- took you long enough, welcome.

Ned

ned said:
In late 2002 and 2003 Tokai made some Love Rocks specifically for North America that received the ALS model name. They have a different headstock and a more rounded horn that the Rest of World (ROW) models.
You mean, there are the originally shaped Japanese versions, the NLSxx ones with rounded horns like your Paisley Love Rock, AND other ones called ALSxx with even more rounded (= almost no horn) cutaways? :-?

stratmoto said:
Welcome B.A.

Saw it on HC, good score.

How long before the LP goes back to M123? :D

Monday when I get a chance to ship it.

However....I am negotiating on a used Std Faded in honeyburst....:D

Thanks for the info!

Got it tonight (and I also happened to buy 2 purple/blue Setzer Gretsch's....its my b-day **** it.....! :D )

It's pretty nice, 9lbs. Not sure its any better than my MIK sunburst (which I'd say has to be a gem...it was nicer than the black cherry...but i may have disliked the cherry due to the 11lb weight!).

I paid $380 on ebay. It's brand new. Plastic on all covers and guard.

Haven't got to play it much but so far like what I've seen!

Sorry for the bad pics....its late and i was in a rush!

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Don't ask about the Gretsch's.....you'll just embarrass me.....:D

batotman said:
Sorry for the bad pics....its late and i was in a rush!
Looks quite similar to the NLS70F VF on the Tokai Gakki site to me... nice flamed sycamore laminated top which wasn't visible in the ebay picture.

Hi Batoman ? quote ??Don't ask about the Gretsch's?? Ha,?OK, well what are those Gretsch?s like then, seriously I?m interested to know (you have two, I assume that means you like them?). :-?

Ian.

ian said:
Hi Batoman ? quote ??Don't ask about the Gretsch's?? Ha,?OK, well what are those Gretsch?s like then, seriously I?m interested to know (you have two, I assume that means you like them?). :-?

Ian.

Screw it....i'm gonna blab even though its a whole nother can of worms.

I brought those two home last night and have one coming monday.

So I bought THREE! :D

Plays like a dream and sounds absolutely amazing. That was about the last thing I expected to pick up on my b-day but found insane prices on the last 3 left.

$950 each!!!!! $2700 at MF!

One may be traded (waiting on decision) for a 3 month old Gibson LP Standard Faded Honeyburst (and he'd be paying some cash on top), another will either go on ebay or to a relative (at a hefty profit) and the last one will be my keeper. I'm expecting after all my dealing to have paid roughly $370 for the Gretsch....:D

Back on topic....how do I know its a 70 and not an 80 or whatever?

BTW what do u guys think I could sell it on ebay for if I decide to?

I will be getting high res pics for it as well, USA only.

Not sure I will but with the Gretsch score I might....got too many guitars as it is! :D

Latest posts

Back