• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tokai 1982-4 Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Downing

Reaction score
I have been a full time pro guitar teacher since 2002 and picked up this Goldstar when I was in the market for a Fender USA Strat. Just happened to be there on the shelf of a store in Trowbridge and when I played it is just came alive - one of those guitars that you know is going to be great because it sounds great unplugged! Well I had it for three years up to 2006 and then though it wasn't really a great electric sound, even though it plays well in your hands. Bumped into Steve Treble at Treble Rock and tolfd hime the story - he comes back with another Goldstar with Antiquity PUs - wow that thing rocked (he subsequently sold it for nearly ?1000). But I couldn't justify three Antiquities so I had three SD APS-1 Alnico IIs installed - whole different guitar - best 'Strat' I ever played, ever. It has a few dings in various places on the body that happened before I got it - but these have mellowed over time so hasn't ever worried me - more important, the neck is near perfect and can be set to a very low action. I have an investment of - ?350 retail to buy it originally , ?175 for the SD APS 1s, and a couple of fret dresses and set-up ?80 - last one a few months ago and hardly played since - so that's what I'd like to get back - pity you can't play it because if you did you'd want it. So how does ?620 sound for a perfect playing Goldstar, with great SD PUs upgrade, and a SKB case?

Somebody tell me how to upload images?

As you can see from the earlier post I have had this on eBay for the lest week and whilst plenty seem to be finding it, the only guy to respond so far questioned its date and wanted a 'Lawsuit' guitar - which I would have thought (apart from the 84 logo rather than 83 - woithout the T in Tokai completed - this was one of those). It's proving difficult to get over how good this guitar play and sounds. I'm not cutting the privce again because its worth more to me than flogging it for a song. IMHO ?585 is a great price for a player. I'd match this up any day against a Custom Strat from Fender.

Anyway, sorted out how to post pics so here goes. And here are some interiors when I first got it showing the original PUs before being changed to SD Alnico IIs APS1s...

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/ChristopherRobertDowning/library/

I have found that trying to sell my Tokai ST has been somewhat frustrating and norrowing in on what the value is in the market. For a start, getting the date right isn't easy. Thanks to Bluejeanot for suggesting its probably 1986 - that could well be right as defining dates seems tricky. But also in many respects, not important if you want a very playable, great sounding guitar. Amost all pro player go noweher near the "collectable" market place, so we are left valueing a Tokai as found - sound, build quality, action, and some issues about neck specifications and weight.

Prices that Tokai sell for seem to be all over the map - in one week I noticed one ST sell for ?285 and another for sale at ?995. Without putting your instrumnet on consignment in a shop so players can try it, I don't really know how we can address this via eBay - which for me is beginning to feel like a low grade car boot sale from my correspondence with potential buyers.

I'm beginning to feel the way fwd is to be out playing the guitar with a sign on it "For Sale" like a car in a layby with a "For Sale" notice stuck to the windscreen! I knew as soon as I played this guitar, it souded and felt so good, it would be great when plugged in - the new PUs just moved it up to a new level. I think in the end I may well sell another top branded guitar and keep this one. Perhaps Tokais are still just too niche - too much a pro's instrument?

Latest posts

Back