What happened in 1982?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! :eek:

Good document from "the troubles" period. Using the terms Strat, Telecaster, PB and JB must have gone down well...

JVsearch said:
Wow! :eek:

Good document from "the troubles" period. Using the terms Strat, Telecaster, PB and JB must have gone down well...

More to come.
And with a little luck I will be the owner of the documents soon.

That was Leo's company. G&L started 80, 81? I think. Even though I think, but am not sure, that CBS bought the rights to everything in 1965, Leo might have retained some design / patent rights. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have a real early G&L 1000 bass. It has the "lawsuit headstock".

cashcow said:
That was Leo's company. G&L started 80, 81? I think. Even though I think, but am not sure, that CBS bought the rights to everything in 1965, Leo might have retained some design / patent rights. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have a real early G&L 1000 bass. It has the "lawsuit headstock".

Yes, I know what the 'L' in G&L stood for, but Tokai was never going to make/sell G&L copies! We need to see p2! :)

To me the letter shows the real reason why CBS 'suddenly' went in business with Fujigen in stead of Tokai in 1982.
Tokai did want expand to the rest of the world and CBS did want to control the Japanese threat. It looks like when Tokai saw that CBS had no intention of helping them with world wide distribution of their products, they turned down the Fender Japan contract.
I think Tokai saw what was coming when CBS turned to Fujigen and was trying to improve their relation with CBS through Leo Fender.

cashcow said:
What happened to the rest of the letter?

Hey, if it is so easy to get a hold on things like this why not do it yourself :wink:

Next time I dig up something interesting I better keep it to myself 8)

Back