Who can give me a good advice about a pickupswap?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jutter said:
andyp81 said:
My Tonerider P90s say on the box

Made in China from parts sourced internationally.
Wire : USA/Japan
Magnets : China
Forbon : USA
Nickel-Silver : Japan/Taiwan

Hence the price I guess but they do sound very very good.

Thanks Andy! I'm interested in the TR Rocksong humbuckers. Did you experience with it?

I'm sorry I don't, I believe Tonerider provide a lifetime warranty on all their pickups.

Interesting about the Tonerider.
Recently purchased a LS160s GT with P90 types. The neck pup is great but the bridge is just a little thin. Both measure 8.07 ohms.
Have set heights to get best middle tone and balance, but the beefier Tonerider in the bridge looks appealing!
Good risk, especially for the price.

The tonerider prices have gone up a lot in the last while- a while back they were ?25, now they're ?35 I think. That's getting within ?5-?10 of some of those handwinders I listed.

Irongears are still pretty cheap at around ?25 or so, I think (but I haven't tried them, nor toneriders).

I have a set of Pure Vintage single coils in my 78 ST60 and they sound killer. A set of Surfari single coils in my E series MIJ Fender Strat and they nail that 60's tone.

Put some of the Alnico II Classic humbuckers in a Burny SG and they sounded as good if not better than the VH'-1's I pulled out.

Big Tonerider fan here. For the money, you can't beat em.

I'm sure they're great- I have a couple of pedals and they're very nice, plus I've heard good things about the pickups. Just when you're getting within a few pounds of handwound pickups... if they were half the price (the way they used to be), that'd be different.

Worth checking out:

Manlius Pickups (I have a set of T-Tops replicas in my SG)

And RD pickups.

Also for your playing style the SD Alnico II aka Slash Signature would be an option.

I have the non-slash ones in one LP and they clean up nicely, well defined, complex sound.

Back