2005 Tokai LS85 goldtop or 1984 Tokai LS60 Goldtop?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankajoerg

Reaction score
What are the pro and cons? what would you buy and why?

The LS60 being original with its original case.

The LS85 is upgraded with CTS pots, Gibson toggleswitch, Schaller tuners (M6 I think), Gotoh GE103 and and hardcase.

Both in near mint condition.

Price for LS60: 750 Euros incl shipping
Price for LS85: 1050 Euros incl shipping

Well here is an update, I took a chance and went for the vintage one.
Hope it will make me happy, its mint condition, 100 % original with its original case and weighs about 3.8-3.9 kg.

For the money I think you made the right choice.

The modern one sounds more like a 'player' guitar but it was overpriced. The vintage one was a bargain.

thanks, I think I made the right choice too!

Should be here saturday and cant wait.

I might change the pups on it right away as I have a set of BK Riff Raff and The Mule here. I remember the pickups on my LS80 was crap and probably due to the original electronics too.

So I might use CTS Pots, Jensen caps and some Faber hardware on this baby along with the BK pups.

Hopefully I wont have to modify the holes for the pots, I didnt on a Epiphone MIJ SG I had so Im crossing fingers.

Will post pics when it arrives:)

frankajoerg said:
thanks, I think I made the right choice too!

Should be here saturday and cant wait.

I might change the pups on it right away as I have a set of BK Riff Raff and The Mule here. I remember the pickups on my LS80 was crap and probably due to the original electronics too.

So I might use CTS Pots, Jensen caps and some Faber hardware on this baby along with the BK pups.

Hopefully I wont have to modify the holes for the pots, I didnt on a Epiphone MIJ SG I had so Im crossing fingers.

Will post pics when it arrives:)

And?????

Yes, it arrived safe and sound yesterday:)

I have pulled out the pups, hardware, electronics, tuners, output jack and toggleswitch and replaced it all with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff in bridge position and The Mule in neck position.

Faber hardware (locking bridge in titanium and tailpiece), Switchcraft output jack and toggle switch, Jensen caps, CTS 550 pots, new bell gold knobs, Tonepros Kluson tuners and bone nut.

Will hand it over to my luthier and he will make it shine and sound perfect.

From the case it was very nice to play before plugged in, love the finish on it but the fretboard was dirty and needs a clean up but my luthier will take care fo that. I changed everything myself but it still has the old bridge as I cant remove the studs myself without any special tool.

So the luthier will change that. Cant wait to see it and PLAY it after he is done with it:)

here are som pics before upgrading and one pic with the upgrades (except the bridge):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankajoerg/sets/72157641271432233/

Normally I like to encourage keeping things original with something that old, but I have to admit it looks MUCH better with the changes you've made and I'm sure it sounds and plays better too.

Now all you need to do is replace the orange cap on the pickup selector with a cream one ;-)

Latest posts

Back