Electronics hardware types- 1982

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterhabit

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a 1982 Love rocks LS-50. I need to replace the 4 bell knobs and the pickup selector cap. Does anyone know what size/style these are? Alpha pots, cts or switchcraft size?

Stewmac lists the toggle switch knob as:
8-32 thread for Switchcraft
M4 x .7 thread for metric switch
M3.5 x .6 thread for Epiphone switches

THX...

Thanks Peter. Actually, I am only changing the knobs for now. 3 are cracked. Leaving the pots stock until I re wire. So I looking for the correct replacement knobs...

OK, I see.
The knobs you require are part# 1194-A. Order 4 so they are all alike.

If you change to CTS pots, you will also need to change knobs as these wont fit. You will also need 2x new capacitors, preferably PIO.
CTS pots x 4 #0117 ; PIO caps .022mf x 2 #1280 ; knobs #1194-FA
Also check what pots are already there. For 3 knobs to be cracked there may already be Imperial pots in place which in turn cracked the knobs.
Hope this helps

Peter

You truly are a "Guitar God". thank you. I will order shortly. If I am going to replace the bridge PU I will need a double cream. Apparently Dimarzio has a patent? lame...

Hi,

Why will you need a double cream???
The majority of original PAF's were double black. In 1959 only, there was a problem obtaining black bobbins and cream bobbins were substituted for around 8-9 months only. Some times the pups were double cream and sometimes zebra. In 98% of all zebra pups, the BLACK bobbin has the adjuster screws and the cream bobbin is the bung. If not this configuration, it is a reverse-zebra - although many boutique pups are named incorrectly.

As the LS-50 is a '58 reissue, double black would be period correct. My own '59 has double black PAFs.

Peter Mac

On this particular guitar, both pickups are double cream. I wasn't planning on changing the neck pickup right away so I wanted to keep them the same. I wonder if these are original. They sound like crap so I figured they were.

Please see pic...

http://s843.photobucket.com/user/shoretek/media/IMAG0335_zps387ef967.jpg.html?t=1390096522

I guess I could get a covered pickup (nickel?) and then it doesn't matter right? Is it a standard sized pickup route?

Yes, the pickup route will accept any boutique humbucker you care to buy.

There are so many options. I'm a Seymour Duncan fan, been that way for over 30 years because I know exactly what I'm getting. I also like the Gibson Burstbucker ( not the Pro) with Alnico II magnets.
Most Alnico II h/b's have lower ohms (7.1 - 8.2) and this makes for better tone and clarity. This tone and clarity makes for great overdrive as the amp is working and not the pickup to create this.
Duncan's SH-55 Seth Lover is 7.2ohm and AlnicoII. works with everything from fingerpicking to Zeppelin to Metallica. His SH-4 JB model has 14.1ohm and AlnicoV and is layered with rich harmonics, but even at low volume can be a little muddy and never as clear as the SH-55.
Food for thought.

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back