Tokai ST-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mono

Reaction score
Hi guys
Not usually a strat fan at all... have owned 1 before and just didn't get on with it.. but this ST-80 popped up on YJ for a must-have BIN price, so I nabbed it.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n127267453

There are some detailed shots in the link on the auction. Serial seems to be 0005975 (bit of corrosion on the first digit though)

So is this a legit 1980 ST-80?

he says 80 on the fretboard, but cannot see it well in the pics, could be a 6 or an 8,
E pickups are correct, body looks to be 2 piece centre seam,

conclusion

probably an 80 but could be a 60

if the neck is a pronounced V its an 80,

if the stamp is indeed an 8 and the neck and body codes match then its deffo all an st-80,

if the body codes dont match and the body finish is nitro its an 80,

if the body is poly its a 60 .. possibly with an st80 neck

have to wait and see when it arrives andy, but more likely than not an 80

thanks for the thorough rundown mark, i was on similar lines really
my mind tries to convince me theres an 80 on the board but i need to see for myself to be sure. never seen poly wear like that though... and my nitro te85 has similar crush/dent marks from light knocks

we shall see :)

It?s legit. Congrats :)

For me the A-Code in the body cavity is the indication for it being a ST-80

The wear on the neck laquer is also typical for a ST-80 that has been played a lot.

thanks Len

I am still a little confused though... this page

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html

seems to suggest that the serial number 0005975 would be a '54-'56 strat reproduction if it were an ST80... and yet rosewood boards showed up on vintage fender strats in 1958....

thoughts?
any other ST80s out there with rosewood boards and 4 digit serial number?

I don?t know if I really get what you mean... :D

your guitar clearly is 1980-made and has a 7-digit serial number (the 000s count too! :D)
all 1980 - made tokais have a 7-digit serial, no matter if rosewood board or not

the whole thing with different serials for different fender models started in late 1981. first appearance of the new serial number system is in the 1982 catalog.
you cannot refer to that serial number system for a 1980 guitar
Tokai Fender Replica Time Line
This information is from the 1982 Catalog.

Hi Guys.

Just a minor point, but it has a single ply 8 hole pickguard. Aren't these normally on the early 57 maple boards? Love the guitar though, very envious :p
Steve

i had a rosewood neck tokai with the same 8 hole pickguard ,,,
it had a plug like a maple neck ,,,, they made them like this at first and then later they came with the right kind of neck no plug and 11 hole pickguard :D

thanks for the input guys... but i'm still a little confused.

8 screw pickguard
skunk stripe on neck
veneer rosewood board

seems like an odd combination of things for a Fender replica... no?
or were early 1980 springys just a mixed bag of features?

(the thread that has confused me is this one: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21133&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)

hi
yes funny combo .... but i saw someware that fender made a neck like that
but a rare feature on a fender neck too
i only see the 8 hole scratchplate on the early ones ,,, before 1980 in 81 the got the 11 hole scratchplate and no plug neck
and the correct 1954 2 piece tremolo
all the best
otto

Congrats.
neck and body ,main parts all 80 spec!.

players cond guitar but fair price.

Sat

Hi guys,
To be clear, no neck made with Rosewood and skunk was a slab neck - regardless of Model. The slab was only produced after mid-1980.
The 8-screw plate was a common feature on both maple and rosewood up to early 1980 when the 3 ply 11-screw plate was introduced.
For the neck to be original, the end stamp would need to have an 'A' stamp after the number. On the body, the stamp should be in the front pickup cavity and should be close to this : 10=9 GS A. Neck should correspond 10=9 A.
Tuners should have 'TOKAI' stamped on them and have a locating pin beside the shaft. Truss rod would be Allen key. String saddles should also be stamped 'TOKAI'
Please keep us informed and post some pics when it arrives.

Peter Mac

Hi Guys,

Following on from Peter's comments and also disproving my earlier comments posted. I was drooling over a few guitars on the Japan Guitar web site and spotted this. http://s765.photobucket.com/user/generalunrest2/library/tokai/Tokai%20ST-80%20TBB%201978%20no%20logo?sort=3&page=1

8 plate scratch plate, rosewood board and skunk stripe.

As Peter states the Tokai true F Strat clone was obviously late 1980, so looks like you got nice Tokai there. Well done!!

Sorry fletspa,

I have always maintained that YM1982 are the most accurate Fendah replicas that Tokai ever made.
The final point was changing to F-style serial numbers of the year being replicated, correct scratchplates for 1952-59, 59-63 and 63-69 style, rosewood and maple necks are period correct and last year of spaghetti logo.
Keep in mind that, like the US, Tokai employed late-year Model launch, so 1982 featured guitars were relaeased in late 1981 and so on.

Peter Mac said:
Sorry fletspa,

I have always maintained that YM1982 are the most accurate Fendah replicas that Tokai ever made.
The final point was changing to F-style serial numbers of the year being replicated, correct scratchplates for 1952-59, 59-63 and 63-69 style, rosewood and maple necks are period correct and last year of spaghetti logo.
Keep in mind that, like the US, Tokai employed late-year Model launch, so 1982 featured guitars were relaeased in late 1981 and so on.

Cheers Peter, I stand corrected :lol:

Hi Peter, thanks for weighing in.
Codes in the neck routing are as pictured

46327159-962D-4642-9BCC-795F7D23A9AD-2353-000002E78B3FB1C4_zps8bedec20.jpg

will update with neck code when it is in hand

Hi Mono,

Body : no doubt ST-80 - correct wood, correct route, correct code+position and it hasn't been fucked with. Good score. 4=5 GS A April build. Neck pocket has the type 2 screw pattern - all correct.

So neck code must be 4=? A to be totally correct. The reason I left ? is that the number can be sometimes a digit or two either way but still matched.
It must have allen key truss to be correct with serial number.

Keep us posted.

Peter Mac

Back