Greco Super Real Se-800 w/ rosewood fretboard

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepJr

Reaction score
Hello good folks. :D
I absolutely love this guitar and isn't planning on selling it any time in the near future. Though I would really like to know what you people think about it, and what you would estimate it's value to be.
I can't seem to find any other Greco with similar features to compare with :(

It is a super real se-800 with a brazilian rosewood slab board neck which makes it pretty rare. Everything is original and in excellent condition. It is made 1980 according to the neckplate and I believe it's a 2-piece body (off centered), and with the big soft V neck.

IMG_1349_zps54a56543.jpg
IMG_1351_zps9e5fa1f9.jpg

IMG_1354_zps22b38906.jpg
IMG_1357_zpsdd9c8869.jpg

I've seen that model before with a slab rosewood board. Why do you think it is a custom-ordered model with a Brazilian board? It could well be but without any original documentation it is hard to prove.
That looks similar to one that was located in Singapore.

I'd guess a good asking price would be around $1000 depending on condition and where you are located.

wulfman said:
I've seen that model before with a slab rosewood board. Why do you think it is a custom-ordered model with a Brazilian board? It could well be but without any original documentation it is hard to prove.
That looks similar to one that was located in Singapore.

I'd guess a good asking price would be around $1000 depending on condition and where you are located.

Hi, well I have got no documentation of it being custom ordered. That's true. But these guitars were manufactured in 54' model with maple neck and fretboard only, with few exceptions. I have found no Greco catalogues with this rosewood model. The only similar neck fretboard-wise would be the jeff beck model but that doesn't match with the super real features and logo.
And when I bought the guitar the previous owner told me it was custom ordered. Could be ********, I don't know. But I am pretty sure that it is one. :)

From the 1980 catalog I have there are two variations in the catalog, the '54-style with maple neck and the '60-style with slab rosewood board. For the Les Paul EGF-1000 and higher models it says "Brazilian (Jacaranda)" but for the SE-800 it says "Rose" like for the lower model LPs.

Even if it isn't Brazilian they are fairly rare.

wulfman said:
From the 1980 catalog I have there are two variations in the catalog, the '54-style with maple neck and the '60-style with slab rosewood board. For the Les Paul EGF-1000 and higher models it says "Brazilian (Jacaranda)" but for the SE-800 it says "Rose" like for the lower model LPs.

Even if it isn't Brazilian they are fairly rare.

I always assumed it was brazilian rosewood because a) the seller said it was. b) because it looks like it.
I've been comparing different rosewood boards on google and came to the conclusion that it's most likely to be brazilian, color and wood grain wise.

But of course I can't be 100% certain unless i test it somehow.
However I am greatful that you bring this to my attention. The whole rosewood fretboard concerned me at first because I hadn't heard of, or seen, it before. After some googling I found some few cases bringing the subject up, but neither was very informative.
If someone owns one like this I'd love to know some more because there isn't really much to find out there on this "model". Like you said Wulfman, there was one in Singapore very alike to mine so there should be someone out there familiar to the particular subject that can fill the gaps in. :D

I haven't seen that text in the catalogue before, "60's", really interesting! Wish I could read japanese though :oops:

EDIT: Does anyone know if It's common with some sort of text/code/mark on the end of the neck on these Greco strat guitars?. I know that an 8 in the neck pocket means it's the 800 model, but what about the end of the neck?

you can not tell brazillian by the appearence alone, it can be a very good indication of braz if the grain is crazy beautifull and all over the place, chocolate/ebony striations etc etc, BUT.. not only brazillian rosewood has that, also, some braz can be quite uninspiring looking, some can be unbelievably beautifull, i have lots of verified braz board guitars, and the variation in appearance is huge,

an indication of braz is that if you sand it lightly you, apparently there will be a sweet smell, but personally i have not noticed this..

if the catalogue for the se 800 specs does not say its jacaranda, then its most probably not, as in 1980 greco did actually spec which guitars had braz boards, which is a rare thing to find, I wish everyone had done so, it would have made things easier in the future!! lol..

well I can't speak about where the rosewood came from...but I can say you have an awesome guitar. I've got the more common s800 with maple neck I bought from RyanC a couple years ago and it's so much better than every fender cs I've ever played it's not even funny. I bought mine for 1000. It was a slight premium over the market but they weren't coming up that often on ebay and it was just the one. Would be cool to compare the tone difference on the rosewood version. Anyway, don't ever sell it.

Any chance the "J" in SE800J stands for Jacaranda? Assuming not...

Latest posts

Back