1985 Tokai Love Rock - model?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBVox

Reaction score
Hi all, I picked up a lovely Gibbo Faded Standard last night from a local fella and in the corner was a dusty Love Rock. On enquiry he says it's a 1985 but there's no model number that I can see. Any idea what it is likely to be or what clues I can look for for him.

First time I've posted an image/link, hope it works -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65234709@N05/12219541064/in/set-72157640305198406

It played and sounded lovely, abalone inlays I think and open book headstock. original Tokai machines, and everything else was original too I think. 10/10 condition, not a mark or blemish on it.

He's considering selling as he'***** hard times, but we were both stumped as to value. No really my bag, I'm not keen on bright bursts, but I'd happily sell it for him on here if we can find out what it is and what it's worth.

Any help gratefully received.

Bill :eek: [/url]

Hey thanks a lot Felix, I tried the "Img" tab but nope?. any instructions on here!?

I wonder if anyone has an idea what model it is and what value, or clues to the former I can look for, leading to an idea of the latter!

Or just point me at something that I can read and do a bit of Sherlock Holmes type deduction?

The guys having a tough time having just lost his job and is selling guitars and amps to pay his bills, certainly my worst nightmare.

I'd like to make sure he at least lets it got for a fair price, though not to me, I'm a dark burst kind fella.

Hope to get a few posts today?

B[/img]

If it has a one piece body it should be an LS 80.

Fret edge binding? LS80 had it, but if it were refretted they would be gone. Look for nibs.

Tops were laminated flamed maple or sycamore I believe?

1985 was a mix up year at Tokai so alot of inconsistencies from what I have read.

I had a 1985 LS80. It was great player. Wish I still had it, but you can't keep 'em all. :p

Here's a link to a discussion on it:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20656&highlight=

Back