New Reborn Old Confusion

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
Being a smitten 1980 LS60 owner I am rather late to realise there are new versions of these Reborn Old guitars. As all the content I seem to find online points toward Germany, both Tokai.de and Ebay.de.....can anyone highlight what's going on here?

I see the models seem to be LS1-R8 and R9... Then I find Gibson LPs that also have this R suffix... Can anyone explain?

hi, the R stands for reissue.
R8 : 1958 reissue
R9: 1959 reissue
R0= 1960 reissue

So the LS-1 R8 is a tokai based on a 1958 les paul.
About these new guitars, I have no idea. They have a different headstock. :(
I think the ls-1 is lacquer, the LS-2 is poly but not 100% sure.

They are exclusively available through the German distributor and are great guitars. Here's the link: http://www.tokaiguitar.de/

There were also some Tokais in Japan recently with the Reborn old logo. They were ordered by Guitar Planet and included mostly SGs if I remember correctly.

I'm resurrecting this post again - I've been ring some searches on these German Reborn Olds and I'm confused -

We're they made to limited numbers - many stores seem to stock the same model... I was under the impression it was just a few guitars

Some guitar manufacturers advertise 'limited numbers' in an attempt to create a false impression that it means higher value, more collectible, rare, etc, etc.
Tokai don't do this, they're making the same guitars, same factory, same quality that they've been making for 40 years.

"Reborn Old" is a decal on the headstock instead of "Love Rock", identical guitars, different decals.

The Tokai.de "Reborn Old" models have slightly different specs...read the specs carefully...but, underneath the special specs is a regular Tokai "Love Rock".

The entire series of guitars seem to have individual specs and model numbers available only to Germany.

I initially thought they were just a run of guitars, but seem to be plenty of guitar companies stocking the same Reborn Old models.

I particularly like the LS2-F - very sexy.

Latest posts

Back