Any such thing as a Japanese Epiphone Lucille?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, experts!

I am being offered a "Japanese Epiphone Lucille" allegedly from the Terada factory as a part trade for a Gibson. I cannot find any info on any Lucilles being made by Epiphone in Japan. Any clues?
The seller says that very few were made there (if any, might I add).
Still no pics, but if I get them, what should I look for?
Thanks in advance!!

There was a recent black 335 I saw but it was not a custom like a Lucille. Could be a special model but of course pictures would help....

I have these terrible pics for now. Owner will be sending me something better today. I know there is a "Made in Korea" sticker above the serial, but the owner claims the GP is for Terada.
Supposedly, Terada made a small batch of Lucilles when production was transferred from Korea to China. Of course, I have no way of verifying this...

Thanks for your help!

Terada use T for their serials some of the older MIJ Epi's used J also but GP is a code for Korea, I think the made in Korea is a bit of a giveaway too :)

Everything points to it being a 2001 Korean Lucille

FACTORY LETTER CODES

For Epiphone serial numbers that begin with a letter(s), this list identifies the factory (& country) where produced:

B - Boh?mia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)
BW - ____?____ (China)
DW - DaeWon (China)
EA - QingDao (China) = Epiphone Acoustic
ED - Dongbei (China) = Chinese Dongbei means North-east.
EE - QingDao (China) = Epiphone Electric
F - Fujigen (Japan) = Elite/Elitist models
F/FN - Fine Guitars (Korea) = non-Japanese models
G/GG - (three identified -- Epiphone says it has no record of using GG -- may have slipped through system or are 3rds)
GP - ____?____ (Korea) found on a BB King Lucille from 2001, approved by Epi CS-Team

Yup, the sticker is quite obvious,but since the guy insists and seems to be convinced that it is a Japanese guitar, I needed to check it with the experts. I found it very strange as well.
Thank you for the confirmation.

Back