How good are Tokai Pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickdsmith

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tokai ES135, which I believe came with Mk2 PAF pickups.
Whilst I'm not unhappy with them, by any means, I'm wondering what they are based on and whether there may be anything else that might improve this already great guitar.
I play mostly blues and classic 70s rock.
Any thoughts and ideas welcome.
I presume it's a bit of a nightmare swapping pickups on a 335 type guitar, so I'd have to be pretty convinced I was doing the right thing before attempting it or paying someone to do it for me.

nickdsmith said:
I have a 2010 Tokai ES135, which I believe came with Mk2 PAF pickups.
Whilst I'm not unhappy with them, by any means, I'm wondering what they are based on and whether there may be anything else that might improve this already great guitar.
I play mostly blues and classic 70s rock.
Any thoughts and ideas welcome.
I presume it's a bit of a nightmare swapping pickups on a 335 type guitar, so I'd have to be pretty convinced I was doing the right thing before attempting it or paying someone to do it for me.

Tokai MK2 pickups are as good as the other good quality pickups (Gibson, SD, DM) just different. Not too hot not too weak. Take your time to adjust the height of the mics to get the optimal results. I have never switched any MK2 pickups to any other pickups.

I currently have a LS98F all original as my main gigging guitar, also used it in the studio so I kind of like the MK2's.

Measure their resistances at the jack that you plug into your amp, if you can.
If each pickup measures between 7.25 k and 8.75 k ohms they should be OK,
but if one or both measure closer to 11 k ohms you might want to consider using a less hot pickup.
I've never swapped a 135 pickup, but I would think it would involve removing a pickup ring and the pot the pickup lead is soldered to.
(Maybe all pots if ground wires and/or capacitor leads are too short)
You can use two old spoons (on a towel to protect the top) as levers to remove stuck volume knobs.

I've always preferred older Gibson and Maxon pickups, but tastes and availability differ from person to person.

Like I said, I've nothing against them, they sound fine to me.
I've fitted my LoveRock LS90Q with some custom wound humbucker sized P90s which are really good. The previous owner had swapped the original Mk2s for some cheap but hotter pickups, so I never knew what the Mk2s sounded like in an LP style.
The 335 will stay as is for the foreseeable future I reckon, unless I come upon some compelling reason to change them.
I must say my ES135 is the best playing guitar I've ever tried or owned, plus the finish is immaculate.

I only have an LS70f but the pickups are fine. I would never replace them.

Anybody know what magnets does Tokai use in there MKII pickups? I have a LS230 and I am curious about this info!

just curious ... are the Humbuckers Gotoh pickups as well? I have Gotoh P90s in my LS160S and I tried Fralins, Gibsons and GFS in that guitar as well. I ended up putting the originals back in.

Back