Yes, it's another "please help me ID my Burny" thr

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jacco: I seem to remember having "determined" that the ObG is Fujigen-built, but I don't recall by which criteria..? Is the serial number the tell-tale?

Grey wire and green caps in my RLC as well. I might have pics available if anyone's interested?

The serial is the tell tale sign for which factory your ObG was built at .

The Fujigen serials don't have a letter and will just be 6 numbers whereas the Terada ObG's have the G prefix, I'm guessing that's to distinguish them as Gibson pups as opposed to the K Orville (Kuramae) sticker serial terada ones or the later J Orville (Japan?) prefixed terada serials.

Voidoid56 said:
@jacco: I seem to remember having "determined" that the ObG is Fujigen-built, but I don't recall by which criteria..? Is the serial number the tell-tale?

Grey wire and green caps in my RLC as well. I might have pics available if anyone's interested?

Pics please!

My ObG is in the rehearsal room right now, but I'm 99% sure there's no initial letter in the serial. So, Fujigen, yes.

Below is a link to a bunch of photo's of my RLC-60, taken first time I opened it up in May last year. Interestingly, the two visible pot codes is one 70 and one 84, which (I guess?) would date the guitar '88, not '87, right?! I was only dimly aware of the significance of pot codes when I took the photos, I need to have another look at the other pots. Is that amount of "anachronism" between codes common??

No frontal head shots, but it's got the Gibby-correct split diamond inlay and bell TRC.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ex0zieopiv43l9/Uws_clmB-y

Very interesting, thanks!

Ok, so that would put the guitar's date at mid-'88, right? Are the pickups VH-3's?

BTW, I have an post-'89 RSA as well (sold to me as a RSA-100, but there's is no label or anything to confirm it), I can get some detail snaps of that as well, if you like. You seem to have some serious Burny research going on there.

Yep mid 1988.
And those pickups are 2nd gen VH-3 indeed.

Tes please, post pics of the RSA!

Thanks a lot, always nice to get firm ID and year of manufacture.

I'll take a look at the RSA during the weekend. I was going to restring it anyway, so I might as well break out the screwdriver. :)

BTW, this thread is hardly the right place, is it? Shall I start a new one, or is there some kind of Burny info thread already going on?

Ok, new multimeter, here are some pickup measurements. They were taken using a short (1 m) lead in the ouput jack, I don't know how this affects accuracy. If there's a better way of measuring without desoldering the pups, pls advice.

'87 RLG-90, VH1's
Neck 8,03 k
Bridge 8.03 k

'88 RLC-60, VH3's
Neck 7,88 k
Bridge 7,94 k

Which kind of surprised me. Partly because of what you told me to expect, jacco, but also because the 60 STILL gives the impression of driving the amp harder. But I guess DC resistance is only part of the picture.

I'll get into the innards of my RSA tomorrow, but for the time being, here are the pickup measurements:

Neck 7,87 k
Bridge 8,01 k

HNGD. Are these later RLG-90s also Nitro and always 1 piece backs?

Weight?

Thanks!

According to the seller, the finish is poly, but I haven't done the acetone test myself.
As for the weight, I haven't any scales with enough accuracy, but subjectively, it feels pretty "average" for an LP? I'll see if I can get back to you with a more accurate measurement.

Latest posts

Back