New Member, Counterfeit Tokai owner?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry mate, sounds like you got a dog. The vintage style tailpiece setup with a mid 70's neck angle sounds like it may be unworkable.
Add to that, it sounds like there are issues with the straightness of the neck/frets.
That scarf joint = low end/budget build quality I'm afraid, although it's a strong joint and there's nothing wrong with it when it's used close to the headstock IMO.

One of the LPs that I had was tonally destroyed by a tech cranking the tailpiece all the way down onto the top. It was night and day difference and it sucked.

Many luthiers (if pushed) will tell you that 10-46 is the absolute minimum string size you can use on a Gibson scale guitar.

that's life. I am old enough to accept it. These are the consequences of MY actions, and since I thought that a Tokai V style guitar would go very fast at the auction, I offered my best price and it was accepted. Then things happened very quickly, and this is what it ends up being. Now, i will just deal with it, and move on. Dwelling on stuff does not provide any solution, just lingering misery. I've had my share of girlfriends who would'nt take the hint, so I know all to well what that is like!! Ha! lol G'Day Mates.
:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Flying-V-Electric-Guitar-Korena-Finish-FV48-KOR-/400540760027?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5d4216f7db

I just received an email from Tokai that my FV48 is indeed, counterfeit. They are contacting the seller (UK) of the instrument above, and are asking him to provide documentation as they suspect his is ersatz, as well. Anyway, they are posting a 'Counterfeit' warning on their website, and it is basically leveled at all Tokai 'EBAY' sales, so take it as you wish. For me, I can now get my $$$ back, and hunt for a GENUIINE Japanese made Tokai, so maybe all will end well (I HOPE??!!). 8)

Great to hear that! Not that you'd bought a counterfeit, but that you'll be able to get your money back.

All the best,

CW

travisbickle said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Flying-V-Electric-Guitar-Korena-Finish-FV48-KOR-/400540760027?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5d4216f7db

I just received an email from Tokai that my FV48 is indeed, counterfeit. They are contacting the seller (UK) of the instrument above, and are asking him to provide documentation as they suspect his is ersatz, as well. Anyway, they are posting a 'Counterfeit' warning on their website, and it is basically leveled at all Tokai 'EBAY' sales, so take it as you wish. For me, I can now get my $$$ back, and hunt for a GENUIINE Japanese made Tokai, so maybe all will end well (I HOPE??!!). 8)

I'm confused.
I thought you bought your guitar from seller "ratfart" in the USA?
Are you in the USA or UK?

Yes, I bought it in the US. The link I reiterated was provided to me by another member in response to a question I had about set neck guitars ever being made in China by Tokai. That is the link in UK he provided me in response to that supposition. I forwarded that to TOKAI, and they are asking that seller for documentation. Pleas see one of the earlier responses with the thread from a few days earlier, and I think it will clear a lot up.

travisbickle said:
Yes, I bought it in the US. The link I reiterated was provided to me by another member in response to a question I had about set neck guitars ever being made in China by Tokai. That is the link in UK he provided me in response to that supposition. I forwarded that to TOKAI, and they are asking that seller for documentation. Pleas see one of the earlier responses with the thread from a few days earlier, and I think it will clear a lot up.

that does surprise me as rockem is an official tokai dealer here in the uk

The EBAY guitar in UK might not be ersatz. Tokai is just doing their leg work, so that particular guitar might be OK. Mine had some serious discrepancy i the Serial# and the electronics, as well as the neck setup.

:eek: After many many emails to distributors and vendors, and research jaunts on the internet, I have determined that the guitar is not COUNTERFEIT, and it is indeed a Tokai FV48 manufactured in China in 2010. I actually pinpointed it to the exact line of serials and there are no double #'s.
After refretting back to 148's and replacing all the cheapo hardware, electronics , and PUps (SD P Gates), and repairing the truss rod nut, I have found I can live with the bridge a little higher than what I am accustomed to, but bringing down the fret size also lowered the action. The line of V'smade in China seems to be modeled after the 4* angles used in the 70's, and that is where that oval headstock comes into play, as well.
To make a long story even longer, After a good 3 days on the bench, I have determined that the basic core of the guitar is indeed well crafted, and since the major overhaul and upgrades, plays as well as any Gibson V that I have ever owned. I just wish the previous owner did not twist the neck (rescued,WHEW!!), and did not try his hand at fretwork when it was apparent that he was not qualified.
Color me satisfied. The seller agreed to refund my $$$ in full, and being a US guy, he sez that TOKAI in Japan does this to him all the time (deals in used Tokais' only per law), as if they don't want people to know they make some of their 'GOOD' stuff in China, much like all the Auto Makers in the US do the same protestations. So being XMAS and all, I set about with my tools in my shop.
Made in China, Korea, India , RVN, etc. etc. what is the difference between TOKAI and Ibanez, Jacksons, Deans, ESP's etc. etc. etc.

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO
AND THEY ARE AS GOOD AS THEY ARE ANYWHERE ELSE!!! 8) 8) 8)

I dunno bud, sounds like you had to recraft nearly the entire guitar. Luckily you had the time and skills to do this. I have bought a few cheapies myself that were pretty good right out of the box, minor setup tweaks and good to go.

I'm glad it all worked out for you

Well for me, it was biz as usual. I can't wait for anything. If I was smart, I would've become a member years ago and put a 'wanted' in the classifieds. But being very young and foolish (63), I went out of my way to find trouble because I had my sights set on a Tokai V after reading about how good they were. I probably overpaid for it, but that is the only way I can learn anything in life, by COST!!
Typical R&R attitude, that they will most certainly make note of in Valhalla, and send me out to get Venison/Reindeer Burgers for them or something!!
AAAAAAAAARggghhhhhhhhhhh! Did it again. But there is something about buying 'cheaper' guitars and retrofitting them, that I find rewarding (in a macabre sort of way I guess!), But from now on, I'll just save my $$$$ and make it a point to wait until the 'real' deal comes around.
Thank Odin I still wait for the Golden Haired Maiden. I would never be able to explain all these guitars to a wife!!
LOL!!! Happy new Year Everybody!!!!!!!!! 8) :)

Great attitude to have about the whole she-bang my friend. Keep rockin' !! Happy New Years !!!

Back