Any experts want to confirm springy sound info?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymon

Reaction score
Hello all
New guy here

I picked up this Tokai Springy sound locally for a decent price. Even if I over paid a bit, thats ok because I love the guitar.

From what i can tell its a 1981 st-60 or tst-62. Anyway here are the specs.

bridge saddles and tuners marked tokai.
Grey bottom E stamped pickups. Original solder joints etc. (forgot to take pics when i had it apart)
Pickguard is stamped A
Rosewood veneer board. (as I understand it st-70 models had a slab board)
No model stamped on neck and no oval sticker on back of neck.
Neck is marked 9=11
body is marked 9=13
Metallic Blue

I need to take it apart again to see if there are any other markings i missed. Heres some pics.

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

Hi, Jaymon, welcome to the board. It was great that you sent a photo as so many people write a description - I've got a blue guitar, how old is it!!!

You say you picked it up locally, hwre are you, as you dont say on your profile? it's nice to see where Tokais have spread in the world and if you are in the UK Springys are not as common - do you know any back history from where you bought it?

Iain

looks perfectly alright ... and blue strats are strating to grow on me - nice score

Nice condition, no corrosion on the hardware that I can see.

That's a rare color, and with the rosewood board! A choice selection from the good old days of 1981.

Thanks for the replys and the welcome.

I did a lot of reading about Tokai guitars before making a post because i just cant seem to pin down exactly what model it is. I made sure to post pictures, as i read alot of "what is my guitar" threads and knew pics were important.

I am located in Ontario, Canada. I got the guitar from the original owner. It was purchased from Steves Music in Toronto, Ontario. in 1982. Nothing was done to it as far as mods. It has some fret wear and a few dings here and there. The body appears to be two piece. The finish hasnt aged like Nitro so its likely the poly based lacquer of the time.

At any rate, its a great guitar. The neck pocket has a fairly large gap, but i can live with that because of the way this guitar sounds and feels. I have many higher end strats, but this guitar just has that something i connect with.

It was the color that grabbed me. I did a tiny bit of research before i bought so i had some idea. I am familiar with the Tokai brand, but didnt really know anything about the models and specs until looking around for info on this guitar. I must say its been a lot of fun doing the detective work.

Now i find I am on the lookout for more of these great guitars!

Love your blue Springy, don't see a ton of Tokai's around Ontario, nice score and welcome !!

Hi guys,

Nice guitar, I have a 1982 in the same colour.
I would say this is an ST-60 MBR. The poly lacquer with the 'A' electrics is the giveaway. It should also have a 2 piece Alder body.
Next to the body stamp 9=13 should be some letters, probably MB X. these also help to determine the model.
hope this helps
Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back