Springy Sound 1980?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletspa

Reaction score
Hi guys new member here so take it easy :eek:

Ive just bought what I believe to be a 1980 Sprngy Sound in Natural with Rosewood board. Arrives tomorrow hopefully so I will get more detailed images when I get my sweaty paws on it. The previous owner has stated that in generally good nick but without existing electrics so I am looking for some comments as to which model it could be please?

http://s177.photobucket.com/user/fletch-PA/slideshow/Tokai%20Springy%20Sound%201980

I have owned 3 SilverStars in the past so looking forward to how this compares. Thanks Steve

Nice! HNGD!

I think I see a 2P body, so either a ST-55 NR or a ST-85 NR I guess.
Check the stamps on the back of the pickups; E = ST-85, U = ST-55.

I own a 1980 ST-55 NR, great guitar!

hi guys,

-Jacco, you left out ST-65 N. It had alder body with 'E' pickups.

ST-55N also had alder body whilst ST-85 had ash. This body looks like Alder, and an excellent piece of alder at that.

regards
Peter Mac

Many thanks Jacco and Peter for the info. I should have said "electrics and pickups" are not the originals. I should get it delivered tomorrow so I will post more info then.

Cheers

Peter Mac said:
hi guys,

-Jacco, you left out ST-65 N. It had alder body with 'E' pickups.

ST-55N also had alder body whilst ST-85 had ash. This body looks like Alder, and an excellent piece of alder at that.

regards
Peter Mac

You're wrong there Peter.
We are talking 1980 here, ash bodies on all natural finished Tokai's. Actually I have never seen a N finished Tokai with an alder body.

Mine sure is ash and had a 55 stamp. This also clearly is ash and most likely will have a fretboard stamp, so easy to check.

Just an update, guitar arrived and although a bit grubby its in really good condition. So Ive stripped it down and started cleaning. First point is that the back of tuners and bridge are marked TOKAI. Remnants of a blacksticker on back of neck near jointing to body that shows 85. The neck truss rod is an allan key adjuster. Faded numbers on the body end of neck are "12=17 A"
The body is a 2 piece ash with centre seam. Printed into neck pickup pocket is 12=15 with a line through. Middle pickup pocket "1-17 NA Y" A previous owner has used copper tape which I am in the process of removing but no other numbers or letters are obvious. The block appears to be a one piece steel with made in japan stamped in to it. Neckplate as per the sellers photos indicate a serial of "0011077"
Fretboard is a laminated rosewood on maple. Neck profile appears to be a C although not sure what a "soft V" looks like.
Downside is that the pickups are Fender hot bridge and CTS pots with switchcraft 5 way. Unbelievable poor soldering. Not sure if the pickguard is original but its a 3 ply.

the guitar is excellent condition for circa 34 years and a definate keeper.

Any advice on the numbers and letters quoted would be appreciated as well as ideas on pickups as I doubt I will get any original E stamped. I will upload more photos tomorrow.

Pics would be great.
A ST-85 has a V shaped neck most of the time, there are exceptions. Pic of the neck heel area would help.
Original pickguard should be an 8 screw, 1-ply and have an A stamp.
Neck should have a skunk stripe.

12=17 and 12=15 is pretty close as seen on almost higher end Tokai's from this era, so I reckon it is a match, not a partscaster. The jury still isn't out on what the numbers mean.
The 'A' after the N indicates a higher end body. The Y the opposite as far as I have seen, interesting. Intrigued by the other 1-17 stamp. The '-' is normally an indication of a younger specimen.

After strip down and pre re assembly photos here:-

http://s177.photobucket.com/user/fletch-PA/slideshow/Tokai%20Springy%20Sound%201980

Jacco the neck is a rosewood laminate board, the 3 ply scratch plate is 11 hole so I am presuming this is a 64 rather than 54?

Guitar is now reassembled with new cts pots and switchcraft selector installed still need decent pickps for it.

Any comments or info appreciated!

Cheers

Beautiful guitar!

Horrible soldering job tho. Wonder if that's why he needed the shielding? LOL

Nice to see that you are saving her. I have 2 Springy s and love them!

Keep updating as you get parts. I think it's really cool to watch restorations. ;)

bluejeannot said:
The bridge block should be alloy rather than steel.Try it with a magnet though.Gabe.
Hi your right its alloy! Just as an update I have ordered pickups today. Im going for Dawgtown late 64 aged pickups. Seem to get rave reviews and felt the aged look would suit the Springy. Thanks Gabe for the info.

Latest posts

Back