a few questions about my tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_j22

Reaction score
hey, i have a tokai LS80F cherry sunburst and was wandering if u could answer a few questions i have.

1)how do i keep the shiny finish on my tokai, or like what polish is reccomended. this is the guitar i have: http://www.cyborg.ne.jp/~universe/tokai_new/new_ls80c.html

2)i think im having troule withmy pickups, but im not 100% sure. when im playing in my amp on rythym and in the middle the guitar/amp sounds fine in all areas but when i flick the switch to treble everythin goes mute...dont know what the hell is wrong with my guitar and its not the lead. its a pain cause i need to be able to switch from rythym to treble instantly for guitar solos. im gona take it to a guiar shop but i was wandering if its anything i could do at home, if not do you think it could be serious?

3)ive also just brought a peavey classic 50 2x12 combo amp for 365 pounds. it is apparantly almost brand new. ive tried the amp before but i was wandering if you guys think thats a good deal also.

cheers for any help

ben

1)how do i keep the shiny finish on my tokai, or like what polish is reccomended. this is the guitar i have:

I use regular guitar polish that comes in a pump spray bottle. I think it is from Dunlop.

2)i think im having troule withmy pickups, but im not 100% sure. when im playing in my amp on rythym and in the middle the guitar/amp sounds fine in all areas but when i flick the switch to treble everythin goes mute...dont know what the hell is wrong with my guitar and its not the lead. its a pain cause i need to be able to switch from rythym to treble instantly for guitar solos. im gona take it to a guiar shop but i was wandering if its anything i could do at home, if not do you think it could be serious?

Sounds like a loose wire or bad selector switch. I would take it to where you purchased the guitar and have them look at it. If you bought online I would take it to Tokai retailer and have them check it out - guessing your in the UK.

3)ive also just brought a peavey classic 50 2x12 combo amp for 365 pounds. it is apparantly almost brand new. ive tried the amp before but i was wandering if you guys think thats a good deal also.

Not sure how Lbs translates to Dollars but you can never go wrong with a Peavey Classic 50.

benny_j22 said:
but when i flick the switch to treble everythin goes mute...dont know what the hell is wrong with my guitar and its not the lead.
That's very likely the selector switch which tends to oxydate on the pickup position that gets less used. If I have this problem, I just switch between these positions several times in a row, and this cures the problem. Of course you could also clean the contacts (rather with a sharp knife than chemical contact cleaner) or even install a new switch, but first I would try the simple method.

Ben,

Could be a short or a bad ground too. I just made this problem happen myself when I swapped out a set of pickups recently. These were a set of '57 Classics with the old style cloth braid. The cloth had "ridden up" a little too much and the hot wire was making contact with the body of the pot (grounded). It gave exactly the symptom you described.

This is pretty easily fixed if you are moderately electrically/mechanically inclined and have a soldering iron.

Scott

I've had that problem before, and it could just be dirty contacts in the switch. A handy fix is if you get some aftershave and just drop a few tiny drops down into the switch, then flick it back and forth a few times, it should clear up your problem perfectly.

Back