Tokai LS models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygkn

Reaction score
I have done a bit of research.
So I know that the higher the number the higher the quality.

I have seen a few LS75 guitars for sale these look very good to me.

I got sucked in when reading about the LS 200 and these seem too good for me.

So I was wondering about the 100, 150 and 160 as they also look to be good value?

I'd like to consider a Tokai LS but avoid the temptation to upgrade etc...

The Love Rock II looked interesting the one which is a cross between a LS and a 335?

Thanks for the link.
That guitar is an interesting concept.
I must dig out some research on this model.

garygkn said:
Thanks for the link.
That guitar is an interesting concept.
I must dig out some research on this model.

Don't forget it's a solid body, double cutaway. It's not a semi hollow like a 335

garygkn said:

So I was wondering about the 100, 150 and 160 as they also look to be good value?

The Love Rock II looked interesting the one which is a cross between a LS and a 335?

Best value.... 1978-83 LS-80

CliffsComicWorld said:
garygkn said:

Best value.... 1978-83 LS-80

Today Shohei said, the 2013 Tokais are better built than the 1978 models. :D

OK is there a big difference between an LS120 and an LS150?
Both guitars are around 2005 - 2008.

150=All solid maple top,some with appealing figure and some paler.
120= Solid maple top with a thin sycamore flamed thin layer

garygkn said:
OK is there a big difference between an LS120 and an LS150?
Both guitars are around 2005 - 2008.

I think the only LS-120 in that date range was an LS-120 SEB model.

1990's LS-120's had veneer tops as Luis stated, and neck heel caps sometimes.

Some 2005 LS150's have solid 4A flame maple tops, i know mine has one.

25am555.jpg

IMHO, unless you absolutely must have the single-cut classic LP shape, the LRII is far better value. But the downside is that they will always be harder to sell in the future.

If you decide to go for the single-cut, go high-end (LS-200+) or go old and low-end (LS-60 or so) and maybe upgrade the electronics. The mid-range is full of so many confusing variables, and I'm not convinced they all make a big difference.

If you want long tenon, you must start at LS-140 I think (equal to LS-120 some years ago).

I agree: If you want to get a good guitar, get the entry one and maybe invest in aftermarket pickups, aluminum stoptail, brass-saddle bridge if you want to.
Faber has tail & bridge at resonable prices, pickups are all over the planet.

I go for goldtops. Solid cap. No frills, no flames, classic look.

Many thanks for all the replies. To be fair I have found the models bewildering.

The LS120, I was told today is a 2012 issue, although when I look at the 2012 catalogue I can't see it there at all.

I noticed a nice LS150 (which is 2005) in the classifieds and there are 2 Love Rock II guitars. they do look very good. To be honest I'm not totally sold on the bling finishes I like a tobacco burst with some grain showing but I'll never have the cash for new so it's what's on sale used.

The Love Rock 2, seems to have a limited appeal, is this because they are an unfamiliar model? Lack of finishes? Not much of a used market? I was thinking that if they held their price then maybe more players would try them knowing that they would be easy to sell on if they didn't like them. They are an interesting model. I think some classic finishes would help the cause.

garygkn said:
The Love Rock 2, seems to have a limited appeal, is this because they are an unfamiliar model? Lack of finishes? Not much of a used market? I was thinking that if they held their price then maybe more players would try them knowing that they would be easy to sell on if they didn't like them. They are an interesting model. I think some classic finishes would help the cause.

Guitar players are just hugely conservative, and the LR2 is a copy of nothing famous. So there's a much lower demand = slower sales.

There are many other DC guitars that don't sell as well as a regular LP/copy: Yamaha MSG (fantastic guitar), Gibson LP DC Standard, Ibanez Artists, etc.

I love DCs, myself, and would be all over that LR2 if I didn't have other GAS priorities.

garygkn said:
I noticed a nice LS150 (which is 2005) in the classifieds

Dude, what are you waiting for, grab this guitar as quick as you can...this is the equivalent of a $5000 Gibson for 650 Euros.
I'm a Tokai dealer, I buy direct from Tokai, and I'm thinking of buying it.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21024

Diamond what $5000 Gibson model are you referring to ?? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to $5000 guitars. Thanks.

I believe that what Diamond is trying to say is that higher end Tokai models are similar in specs if not better than Gibson reissue guitars which are very expensive! I have a LS230 which is a total killer guitar looks wise and sound!

brokentoes said:
Diamond what $5000 Gibson model are you referring to ?? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to $5000 guitars. Thanks.

You choose. :D

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars.aspx

Latest posts

Back