1980 ST-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Been awhile since I have posted and hope everyone is well :) ........My question is how rare is the blonde finish compared to the burst colors for this model?
Also,can anyone tell if the case could be original from the pictures/Thanks
http://s217.photobucket.com/user/hunter11099/library/1980%20TOKAI%20ST-80

Stunning!

I certainly haven't seen many in the flesh or on offer.

Pickup covers are not original - they are aged replacements to match the knobs.

Thanks Suki
What makes you think the covers were replaced?....guitar was listed as all original.

I have personally got about 22 St's from '78 to '86 - this is what I have observed.

The Tokai original covers don't really seem to turn yellow, unlike the knobs. So a totally original guitar looks a little odd once aged.

I actually prefer non original aged cream covers, and I have replaced many of my guitars with these as it just looks better (of course I'm hanging on to the originals!)

Hmm, I've had a few from (almost) new and they failed to age.

The only test is to take the covers out - the bit exposed will be aged, and the inside and the unexposed bits will be whiter.

Unless you actually bought them in the 80's, you can never know

Suki said:
Hmm, I've had a few from (almost) new and they failed to age.

The only test is to take the covers out - the bit exposed will be aged, and the inside and the unexposed bits will be whiter.

Unless you actually bought them in the 80's, you can never know

Should have in next week or so and I will investigate further.....Do you have any thoughts on the case?

Lol, I'm the last person to ask about original Tokai cases! Back in the 80's we were all "Fenderising" our Tokais by changing the decal, and carrying them around in fender tweed cases!

That's the first that I'd heard that Springy p'up covers don't yellow. Mine on my 78 ST60 are as yellow as the body now.....if I raise the height on them, they are still white below the wood line:

Hey! Long time lurker here but to try and answer the OP, I have an 83 - 84 ST65 in metallic blue with matching headstock in the very same case, Was bought an eternity ago as all original so I believe it is one (of several?) original Tokai case types.

Regards,
Frank

MancFrank said:
Hey! Long time lurker here but to try and answer the OP, I have an 83 - 84 ST65 in metallic blue with matching headstock in the very same case, Was bought an eternity ago as all original so I believe it is one (of several?) original Tokai case types.

Regards,
Frank

Thanks Frank

Latest posts

Back