body woods on tokat strat 1977-1983

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl1

Reaction score
hi guys

im new to the tokai world so i hope you can help me

im looking for a swamp ash/ash body maple neck tokai strat

what type of tokai should i look for - they all have different codes starting ST as far as i can see

also did they only use japanese sen ash or did they ever use ' proper' swamp ash?

how do i find out what the going rates are for the different types - the prices seem to vary widely for guitars of the same spec

anyone help?

jl1 said:
hi guys

im new to the tokai world so i hope you can help me

im looking for a swamp ash/ash body maple neck tokai strat

what type of tokai should i look for - they all have different codes starting ST as far as i can see

also did they only use japanese sen ash or did they ever use ' proper' swamp ash?

how do i find out what the going rates are for the different types - the prices seem to vary widely for guitars of the same spec

anyone help?

Welcome, man! As far as I know Tokai only used Sen Ash as far as ash goes. Ash can be found on models starting from the lowest one- ST42. ST-45, ST-50, ST-60, ST-70, 80, 100 all can be found with sen ash as a body wood. Plus maple necks are way more abundant than rosewood ones.

Now finding an alder bodied higher-end Tokai Strat with rosewood fretboard is quite a task.

Hi guys,

To be accurate, ash was used on all models from '77 to mid'78. They were ST-42, ST-50, ST-60, ST-80 & ST-100

After that only on ST-80 higher till '82.

From 1983-up ST-80 and ST-100 were a turkey shoot - some were ash, some were alder

Peter Mac

Interesting. I was just thinking today how light my 81 ST80 Springy is. Was wondering what the wood was. Figured it might not be ash. Hard to tell since it's painted.

Hi Siggy,

Thar's catchy ...." ..Siggy played guitar.." yeah, yeah

Anyway it appears to be Ash. 'A' stamp is generally used on ash bodies, however most solid colours did tend to be Alder, but from the little grain I can see I would go for Ash.

Very, very nice guitar.

Peter Mac

ok

in reality i sthere any real difference in the care with with an st50 was put together compared to an st80 or st100 or was it really just cosmetic differences like paint finish /gold hardware etc

i guess what im asking is whether they reserved 'better/lighted/more resonant wood for the ST80/100/120 or really is a good st50 as good as a good st80/100?

ok

so its not like say PRS where certaingrades of wood are reserved for certain levels of model

If you want a great guitar at a good price get an 84 generally alder bodied Goldstar St 50 with U pickups or my personal favourite a an 84 Goldie St 2 piece alder body ST60 with E pickups.Same guitars as as Springy but a bit cheaper .Gabe.

Cool Gabe. I have a 1983 ST60 Goldie as well that is an amazing guitar IMHO. Very resonant.

Original owner, Hilton Valentine of The Animals, switched out pickups to what I believe are Fender Fullerton re-issues from the mid 1980s. Those are amazing as well. ;)

ANOTHER QUESTION

is it easy to switch necks between tokai strats? i assume they are generally the same dimensions?

ie if i have 2 x st 50s : one maple and one rwood , could i easily swap the necks over between if i wanted ?

Back