Interesting ST80 spring sound.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDB

Reaction score
Not sure if 1978 was different to later ones but when this arrived I thought she had a non original neck plate ( no serial and narrow ) and would have been re drilled because it is smaller than the norm but it has not and looks to be the original. all holes line up and fits fine but up against my 1982 st 80 you can see the difference.

Maybe a very early one before serials stamped on the plate. No 80 stamp on fret board either but in a certain light a swear I see a faint numbering but maybe not.

Heres a bunch of pics.

bisd.jpg

0c9b.jpg

vjhy.jpg

n47.JPG

96oo.jpg

w9o7.jpg

wkrv.jpg

ppfd.jpg

Nice, thanks for posting.
That is the latest small neck plate Springy I have ever seen, but not by far, I have some logged in the 1800s

Yep!

Fun thing is that according to the date code theory there is a gap of 23 days between production of body and neck. Normally this would be an indication of a partscaster. But as the body has ink transfer from the neck serial, we know this neck is original to this guitar.
Time to rethink how and when during the production process these guitars were assembled.
Thanks again for posting!!

No worries Jacco. I do get your fun, thats why I posted :lol: :wink:

One question still........... is the no stamp on the fret board consistent with the others you have seen from that time?

jacco said:
Yep!

Normally this would be an indication of a partscaster. But as the body has ink transfer from the neck serial, we know this neck is original to this guitar.

Also the the fact that both neck and body are drilled for the smaller neckplate .

JDB said:
No worries Jacco. I do get your fun, thats why I posted :lol: :wink:

One question still........... is the no stamp on the fret board consistent with the others you have seen from that time?

Hi Jarrod,

Yes, these earlier 1978 models have a model type stamp on the body. First on the neck joint, later (as yours has) in the neck pickup cavity.
I am not sure when the transition from body stamp to fretboard stamp is, but the first ones I have logged with fretboard stamp are in the 8003000s.

An interesting feature of the necks that seems common with the high end Tokai models is that they mostly seem flatsawn and the lower models are generally quartersawn. This is a distinction that follows suit with original Fender Stratocasters where the majority of the more highly prized examples tend to have flatsawn necks.

felixcatus said:
An example of an all original Tokai with non matching codes.
Interesting info, time to adjust some theories. :wink:

Pardon me, I haven't been here that long and while I'm aware of all the research you gentlemen have already done, I haven't read all the results, so with respect;

What's the possibility that dealers perhaps switched necks around not the factory?

Or what's the possibility they simply used a system where codes didn't necessarily match right out of the factory?

J.E.M. said:
felixcatus said:
An example of an all original Tokai with non matching codes.
Interesting info, time to adjust some theories. :wink:

What's the possibility that dealers perhaps switched necks around not the factory?

Or what's the possibility they simply used a system where codes didn't necessarily match right out of the factory?

Beats me! http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21283

J.E.M. said:

Well actually not very likely.
We are talking 1978 here. Not many models produced, so very likely only few models available at dealers and STs had mixed small and wide neck plates throughout 1978 which are not interchangeable.

J.E.M. said:

That is exactly the question which is being raised.

Latest posts

Back