Tokai wood sources

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudor

Reaction score
Hi ...

does anybody know something about the Tokai wood sources, especially the supply for fretboards, rosewood and ebony?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

I would assume that they get their wood from Africa as far as fretboard material is concerned. I remember seeing a video from Taylor guitars that says they own the ebony coming from Africa and that is the last place on the planet to legally obtain ebony. Rosewood is probably from Madagascar. That is the best of my knowledge on the subject.

Powerguitars said:
I would assume that they get their wood from Africa as far as fretboard material is concerned. I remember seeing a video from Taylor guitars that says they own the ebony coming from Africa and that is the last place on the planet to legally obtain ebony. Rosewood is probably from Madagascar. That is the best of my knowledge on the subject.

Currently Tokai use rosewood from India. Mahogany come from Africa.
Recently they also have started to produce bodies from African mahogany for some guitars made ​​in China.

Thanks so far, guys ...
I have assumed they would prefer the Asian wood, because in the past they used to use the sen ash also for their Strat and Tele bodies and not an (imported) American ash.
Where did you get your information from?
I can't remember a proven information on this subject on the forum ...

Roger

tudor said:
Thanks so far, guys ...
I have assumed they would prefer the Asian wood, because in the past they used to use the sen ash also for their Strat and Tele bodies and not an (imported) American ash.
Where did you get your information from?
I can't remember a proven information on this subject on the forum ...

Roger

They use Swamp Ash on their TST/AST/TTE/ATE/AJB/TJB/AJB strats, tele and bases made in Japan.

Back