Jazz Sound.. Model? Date?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzy Jeff

Reaction score
Hi folks! I got this Tokai Jazz Sound and I need some help. Is it MIJ, what year approximately, model? etc.
The seller said it's from the early-mid 80s MIJ. It kinda looks too newish for that but what do I know..

It has a six-digit serial number.

Pics:

b7XySdD.jpg

ujfom7z.jpg

JoKDe05.jpg

qqjn4fG.jpg

wK3FP3C.jpg

Two more photos. Nevermind the shims, I put them there myself (and took them off since they did more harm than good.)

wGjMMmo.jpg

DLjGCje.jpg

I don't recognise that printed code on the end of the neck as a Tokai thing but I've not had my Tokai JB apart to know if it has the same type of markings as the Springy and Breezy. (Not much help.)

Just a guess, but I'd say it's a TJB-45 from around 87-88. I'm basing that on the headstock, the logo, and the fact that the decal is solid black, not an outline. None of that can really help, except to say that it's mid 80's and at least a TJB-45. Without the oval sticker on the heel, or any legible writing in the pocket, it's hard to tell whether it's one of the more expensive TJB's.

On my PJ-48 and JB-55, they wrote the model number in crayon in both the pocket, and the part of the heel that slides into the pocket. It rubs off easily, but if you still have the neck off, check the pocket side of the heel (not the side closest to the pickups) and you might get lucky.

Great sounding basses when you get them set up right! Wouldn't give up my JB-55 for the world.

Thanks for the replies! I'll take an extra good look at the heel the next time I take the neck off. Great bass. I had a Hard Puncher before but it seems like a jazz bass is more up my alley playability-wise.

Latest posts

Back