EMG's in my EX55 not as bright as stock p'ups in my LS85VF

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobbydog

Reaction score
As the title, just had some EMG's fitted in my EX55 but my Japanese LS85 sounds brighter with its stock pickups, which aren't active. I was expecting a marked difference, even though the EX55 isn't MIJ. Does anyone else have EMG's fitted and have any experience of this?

I've never put EMGs into a Tokai, so I'm not sure how they sound.

Perhaps wood differences?
LS85 is mahogany/maple body and mahogany neck, EX55 is Basswood body and maple neck.

What were you expecting the EMGs to sound like?

I've played alot of guitars with humbucker EMG pickups and I haven't like any of them.

Having said that I have a T set in my Tele and a J set in my Jazz bass and love them. I've also played a strat with the gilmour set and thought that sounded real nice too so in my experience it's just their humbuckers that I'm not too fond of. I prefer low output passive humbuckers but I guess it depends on the sound you want to get.

Hard to describe what sound I was expecting other than quoting a load of metal bands and guitarist that use EMG's and get that raw metal sound. What I'm getting is a nice humbucker sound but, if I didn't know. I'd say the LS85 had the actives and the EX55 a cheap set of humbuckers. Maybe I just need to get the wiring/pots/jack socket checked out before worrying too much.

Latest posts

Back