ST85? Really?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonah65 said:
went for a great price!
another one added to the collection suki? :D

Hey Jonah, why is it that anytime a Tokai bargain is bagged on Ebay, everyone immediately assumes it was me?

Yes it was me :)

congrats, looks like a real good'un-- st80's/85's going for under ?400!!!!
is it a springy or goldstar do you think?
either way, shouldn't take much to return it to it's original state.
nice one. 8)

Thanks guys, I saw it a couple of times before, but way it was way too expensive. Yes it's a bargain but a bit of a punt, as I need to verify the innards and stampings etc.

Yup, it's a pre-1982 Springy if it's got a stamp on the fretboard. I've already booked the neckplate to be re-chromed after I get the scratchings out - I'm assuming they are shallower than the number stampings. This is going to cost quite a bit, re-chroming doesn't come cheap.

I also have some nitro lacquer and a springy transfer ready and waiting. Will post some pics of the restoration here when I get round to it. I think having the transfer below that lacquer is how it should have been.

surely with the single round string tree, it should have a 4 digit "serial number", pre '56 copy? could be the wrong neckplate anyway?

It's a late 1978 serial number.
The serialisation changed early 1982 to other formats, more in line with Fender models. So this serial type is correct for 1978.

Jacco, if I understand you correctly, Springys should all have 7 digit neckplates up to 1982? If so, how do we determine the ages 1978-1981 from the serial number? Are they sequential?

Yes, you understood correctly.
It's quite easy;
All 7 digit serials starting with an 8 = 1978, 9 = 1979, 0 = 1980, 1 = 1981.
I have logged serials for a few years, was mostly interested in LPs but know from this info that 80035xx is late 1978.

Ah,that's really useful.

In that case, I have a '77 in my collection. It's in storage so I will need to dig it out, but I am certain it's got a 7 digit plate starting with 7.

I would really love to see that!! (and at the same time doubt that it's a 1977 model).
No one ever has seen a 1977 Tokai LP or Strat.

Back