New 1982 Breezysound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFdave

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here. To be honest I never heard of Tokai until two days ago. Sorry, don't hate. Anyways, I found one for sale locally and picked it up today. Actually my wife picked it up, as I'm away deployed for a few months. I'm really excited to eventually pick it up and play it as I've read a lot of great things about these guitars. I'm hoping to hear your guys imputs on my new axe. The guy says it's a 1982, but I can't verify. I paid $400. Does this seem like a fair deal and does anyone know what model it is?

Welcome to the forum, that is a great first post!
$400 for an old Breezysound is a great deal I think. Yours looks to be in good condition too. From the chrome bridge plate I guess it would be a TE-50 or 55 but someone should chime in soon with the 100% correct answer.

Yes, I'm very excited. I have to thank my dear wife for finding it for me. I have a poster of Roy Buchanan with him and his Telecaster. My wife saw the ad and notified me there is a guitar that looks "just like the one in the poster". I wish I didn't have to wait 4 more months to play it. Thanks for the info folks.

Hi guys

Does it have a serial number on the neck plate? It should be L+5 numbers on it or 7 numbers - this will help determine the exact year
On first glance I would also think it's a 1982 TE-50 BL .
Next time you change the strings, undo the 4 neck screws and a stamp should be visible just near the truss rod adjuster, something like 12=4.
Under the volume & tone knobs should be the same code followed by letters, something like 12=4 BL Z.
Finally unscrew the scratch plate and the pickup should have TE-B on the underside. If you can do this, I should be able to verify within a month the Model and Year of your fabulous acquisition.

By the way, Dave, what is your location?

regards
Peter Mac

Hey Peter Mac, it looks like L05728. Unfortunately I won't be able to get the other info for a while. I might have to resurrect this thread in a few months and I hope you're still here to help. We bought this is Okinawa from another U.S. guy. I'm currently somewhere less desirable. Thanks!

I'm also curious if anyone can say if this was made in Japan or elsewhere, like Korea. Thanks for any intel.

Everything looks alright for a MIJ Breezysound.
The serial is the right type for a 1982, too. It seems like the guy you bought this from spoke the truth. Great deal :)

Back