ESP OLDIE '54s Stratocaster

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, if that's for sale and you're not getting it, let me know. I'll be in Belgium too soon. It'll basically be the same as a Navigator, and looking at the logo, I would guess from the 1980s.

I'll say that that decal looks very amateurish, like it was a one-off typeset by hand. Not that it would bother me.

I think its in Japan right now. Don't worry, i'm not about to cut anyone's grass on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-ESP-OLDIE-54s-Stratocaster-1-piece-ash-body-Navigator-Japan-Vintage-MIJ-/350841561415?pt=Guitar&hash=item51afc96147

BrazenPicker said:
Wow, if that's for sale and you're not getting it, let me know. I'll be in Belgium too soon. It'll basically be the same as a Navigator, and looking at the logo, I would guess from the 1980s.

I'll say that that decal looks very amateurish, like it was a one-off typeset by hand. Not that it would bother me.

A fake ESP ?! With a sticker on a blank neck ?

And a one piece body...?!

It's strange that it isn't written "OldieS" with an "S"...?

What do you think about it ?!

Cool find.
NOrmally they have the black ESP logo during this period. There is a ST454 in the 1984 US ESP catalog which looks the same except for headstock shape and logo. This was probably for the Japanese market.

brokentoes said:
I think its in Japan right now. Don't worry, i'm not about to cut anyone's grass on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-ESP-OLDIE-54s-Stratocaster-1-piece-ash-body-Navigator-Japan-Vintage-MIJ-/350841561415?pt=Guitar&hash=item51afc96147

Thanks, tempting, even though I'm in the middle of a big purge. :)

Fair points about there being some question marks about the guitar, but the ESP custom shop in those days built pretty much anything you could describe to them (and still does I think), so I assume they had some crappy machine to make one-off decals. I could be wrong, but not in itself something that worries me too much.

mhoyoux said:
Undetermined model and too "obscure" for the risk of buying it...

That describes most vintage Navigator. :) I often take the risk, but sometimes you get stuck with a guitar you regret buying (narrow nut, poly coating, etc.). That's the advantage of Tokai and Greco, where you know much more what you're buying. I've also come across some real gems though.

That was a recent sale on Yahoo Japan if I recall correctly. Interesting logo and with the 1-piece body was probably a high-end model.

BrazenPicker said:
mhoyoux said:
Undetermined model and too "obscure" for the risk of buying it...

That describes most vintage Navigator. :) I often take the risk, but sometimes you get stuck with a guitar you regret buying (narrow nut, poly coating, etc.). That's the advantage of Tokai and Greco, where you know much more what you're buying. I've also come across some real gems though.

That's clear...Those who take the "risk" will, a day, have a gem, for sure.

But I prefer to collect information and to reserve my money for confident seller/expert. That's a poitn of view. For sure, it must be a pretty guitar to play...

This isn't a special order ; the guitar is a SEV-54, from the Traditional Series.
It was available in the same price range as a Mirage Deluxe at the end of the eighties.

There should be some numbers on neck pocket, it gives a clue.
ESP made parts by their own and have a special order made system making some deviates from standard parameters.

Everything fits.
The logo is correct, and a one piece ash body is part of the specifications of a SEV-54.
9598048309_a4627278be_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back