• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: Tokai Springy Sound ST-80 (1978) - EU

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

Reaction score
I'm putting my dear "Brownie" up for sale. It is from 1978 and a replica of 1957 strat. Very good working condition, it was my main strat for quite some time. Is has got a few dents and scratches (it is 35 years old, still).

Specs: Two-tone sunburst finish, nitro body, original E-stamped pickups, original tuners, V-shape neck, bone nut. Weight approximately 3.2 kg. Comes with original tremolo arm, backplate is missing though.

Pictures can be found here.

No issues with electronics, pots are as good as new. I've replaced the 5 way switch though, the original one will be shipped along (tended to be a slightly scratchy). Currently it's got block saddles (felt more convenient underneath my right hand), but original ones are included. It has got a neck shim, which is optional - in case you prefer slightly higher action it can be removed. The neck is straight and the action is currently low (around 2.3mm at the 12th fret). No dead spots, no fret buzz.

The guitar is very resonant and clear sounding unplugged, quite exceptional compared to the majority of the strats of the recent decades. The bass strings are bright and precise, guitar is very balanced sounding overall. One of the very best strats I've ever played in my honest opinion.

Located in Estonia (European Union), comes with a gig bag in a safe package. Price is 900 euros + shipping.

Edit: I've received several questions about whether a hard case could be part of the deal. So, now comes with a Rockcase hard case (excellent condition)!

A few more bits of information based on the questions I've been asked. The reason for the sale is primarily the need to scale down my rig. And for certain tunes I'm playing, I'm having a kind of a love-hate relationship with the V-shape neck. However, it is the integral part of the good old strat identity. All in all, it is in excellent player's condition and I couldn't honestly imagine anybody who wouldn't be satisfied with the tone of this guitar. As I said, I haven't come across the modern strats from the past decades with the tonal qualities comparable to this one - it is great unplugged and it shows when plugged to an amp.

Hi !

On image n?14 : it looks like a thin piece of wood has been added between neck and neck pocket...?!

It has got a neck shim, which is optional - it allows to have really low action. It can be removed if you like, it's carefully crafted piece of maple. Used long before micro tilts were applied :) I'm preferring shim over the micro tilt since it does not affect the tone.

les said:
It has got a neck shim, which is optional - it allows to have really low action. It can be removed if you like, it's carefully crafted piece of maple. Used long before micro tilts were applied :) I'm preferring shim over the micro tilt since it does not affect the tone.

Thanks for the information.

Hi Les,

The ST-80 GS with a V-neck is actually a 1954 replica according to Tokai and Fendah. Just thought you'd like to know.

It would be perfect to play Clapton tunes with.

Peter Mac

Hi Les,

The ST-80 GS with a V-neck is actually a 1954 replica according to Tokai and Fendah. Just thought you'd like to know.

It would be perfect to play Clapton tunes with.

Peter Mac

New postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Sigmania wrote:
Beautiful guitar! 2 piece ash body?

ST60 and ST80 are two piece body...ST100 one piece...

Is it sen ash?

Wow, just had a look at the pics of your guitar, very nice !!! You've kept it in very nice shape too. Beautiful axe, someone in Europe should snap it right up !!

brokentoes said:
Wow, just had a look at the pics of your guitar, very nice !!! You've kept it in very nice shape too. Beautiful axe, someone in Europe should snap it right up !!

...That's right... ;-)

Sigmania said:
New postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Sigmania wrote:
Beautiful guitar! 2 piece ash body?

ST60 and ST80 are two piece body...ST100 one piece...

Is it sen ash?

This is correct, the body is sen ash and two-piece. It also might be that actually 1954 strat has been the baseline for this model, I think I got the impression of 1957 from some Tokai catalogues...

Great guitar available. I'm willing to negotiate over the price in case of serious interest.

It's been a while since I had the idea of selling it, but we can talk about it 8)

Back