LS85 Goldtop

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjofar

Reaction score
Hi, this is my Goldtop (LS85 / 2009).

Adjustments:
- new knobs
- Schaller saddle bridge (I needed more range cause I'm using Gibson LP9 strings (09-42))
- Schaller straplocks
- Gotoh locking tuners
- Gibson Historic 59 truss rod cover.

I'm thinking of replacing the pickups with some Gibson Classic 57's.

By the way: has replacing the pots any use when I always have them at 10 (full power) ?

c9fl.jpg

gqu1.jpg

I've seen a couple as early as late 1998, but 1999 may have been the actual change date to an arch shaped TRC ,
for Japan domestic models at least.
The "made in Japan" ink stamp followed in late 2002, 2003.

Reborn Old said:
I've seen a couple as early as late 1998, but 1999 may have been the actual change date to an arch shaped TRC ,
for Japan domestic models at least.
The "made in Japan" ink stamp followed in late 2002, 2003.

Wouls it be possible to find one but with the serial number "erased"...Ornot stamped ?!

hi guys,

I think he's already put the Historic '59 TRC on it. The thick white layer gives it away.
I wouldn't bother with locking tuners, it's a Les Paul for God's sake. If you're having tuning issues, use 10-46 guage strings and stretch the strings 30 mins prior to playing and at 10 minute intervals. Always tune up to a pitch - never down unless you drop below the pitch and then tune up to it. BTW the heavier strings will give more volume and better tone. You could even turn down to 8.
If you really want to go Gibson on it, CTS pots, Sprague capacitors (Bumblebee, Black Beauty or Orange Drop) and Burstbucker pickups( #1 N and #3 B )will create a real '57 tone. Do not use Burstbucker Pro.

peter mac

Having sold more than a few dozen of these LS85/92 models, and watched top pros gigging and recording with them, there's only two changes I would make.
Put in a pair of MK2s and a switchcraft pickup switch.

IMO
No need for locking tuners...if the guitars not staying in tune then your nut needs some minor tweaking/filing.
I can't imagine using anything less than 10-46 on a Les Paul.

I can vouch for 10-46s...they sound well balanced on a Love Rock....anything lighter just doesn't feel right...
I'm gigging regularly in this hot English summer...I change my strings regularly and I'll normally restring a couple of days before a gig and just play the new strings in a bit at home...
Never have any tuning problems in the heat of a gig...can often play the set without having to retune at all...

Thanks for the comments, guys (I assume...).

The locking tuners are so.........easy!
Should be standard on a guitar.

Ofcourse the historic 59 TRC is on the guitar, no big secret there.

I'm going to switch to Gibson LPS strings (09-46), what was good for Les Paul is good for me!

I'm in doubt about Classic 57s or Burstbuckers.

Latest upgrades:

Switchcraft toggle switch & output jack
Nickel output jack plate
Sprague orange drops

What do you suggest: Gibson Classic 57(+), Gibson Burstbuckers or Dimarzio 36th Anniversary humbuckers

I've heard great things about Bare Knuckle Pickups.

Very tempted myself to buy a set of Stormy Mondays.

Did the truss rod cover fit in the standard screw holes?

Sjofar said:
Latest upgrades:

Switchcraft toggle switch & output jack
Nickel output jack plate
Sprague orange drops

What do you suggest: Gibson Classic 57(+), Gibson Burstbuckers or Dimarzio 36th Anniversary humbuckers

Any noticable difference with the orange drops? Did you keep the original pots and wiring in there?

Hi,
I kept the Original pots and wiring, perhaps in future I'll replace the wiring.
No use to change the pots, they're allways on 10........

Guitar sounds a little brighter (I think!).

Latest posts

Back