I need some help please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I?ve only used it at home, so far.
It?s a very versatile amp, I think it?s going to take a long time to really getting to know all off its tricks.
Its super reactive to the way you play/pick/strum.
One little minus point would be that the reverb starts to squeal after 12 o?clock when used with single coils.
But I?m loving it, it?s an amazing amp.

Here?s a clip from Mr. Fryette himself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=app2lHXHo4I

PS I like it best when played with P90?s
PS2 I removed the tube cage in the back for better heat transfer, so the tubes can run a little cooler.

The Memphis started to produce some hum, and lost some clarity. No surprise after sitting in a music shop exposed to brutalization for 2 years . :D
It also seems a common problem with the early models, something of a bad bunch of Sovtek power tubes or so.
I switched the power tubes and the amp totally opened up.

ok apart from a bad tube in the reverb, which a quick swop fixed, i cant find much to moan about, great clean channel and the gain is stupendous for el84's, i just bought a mad professor pedal to superdrive the gain stage, as i am looking for a d-moll channel 3 type of gain for solo's, but all in all as a gigging amp combo this is near perfect..

now do i sell the cornford head and run the fryette through the cornford 2x12 in the studio, or keep it, and have the choice of all 3.. decisions..

Too bad the previous (12AT7 stock tube?) was broken.
A commentary on the difference in response between the two, would be interesting.

Villager, does your amp have a volume increase when you change the voicing switch in the drive channel from smooth to crisp to fat?

Back