different types of CTS 500k pots

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tompski

Reaction score
Hello, I have been putting some CTS pots in my Gibson Les Paul( modern wiring same as my LS150)
but both the CTS pots that were in my Gibson and the new ones from WD have a funny taper where it doesn't fade nicely and cuts out before the taper ends.
Where as the pots in my Tokai LS150 fade perfectly to nothing at the end of the taper.

Pot numbers below:

new pots in LP : cts 500K 1222

pots in LS150 :
EP 4986 - 0934 on tones
and possibly EP 4986 - 0924 on volumes ( first bit obscured by solder)

Are these type of CTS more suited to the modern wiring?

Thanks

Tom

Hello Tom.

Just a warning, CTS pots (short shaft) in my 2005 LS150 are metric, they do not fit regular US top hat knobs but regular Tokai metric ones.

I agree Tokai pots for mid-high end (CTS) work really well with a nice taper.

So it turns out the tone pots are linear, does anyone know what the volume pots are in an LS150?, I have cleverly covered my numbers in solder with my new pickups.

Thanks

Tom

Tompski said:
So it turns out the tone pots are linear, does anyone know what the volume pots are in an LS150?

They should be audio/log.

Personally I favour audio/log for the tone controls too, but the standard is log for volume and linear for tone.

Paladin2019 said:
Tompski said:
So it turns out the tone pots are linear, does anyone know what the volume pots are in an LS150?

They should be audio/log.

Personally I favour audio/log for the tone controls too, but the standard is log for volume and linear for tone.

Is there any way that by having audio pots for tone that could effect the way the taper behaves on the volume?

Tompski said:
Is there any way that by having audio pots for tone that could effect the way the taper behaves on the volume?

Nope.

To an extent you can alter the taper by putting a resistor across the active lugs. See here:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/24057-altering-pot-taper-resistor.html

Paladin2019 said:
Tompski said:

Nope.

To an extent you can alter the taper by putting a resistor across the active lugs. See here:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/24057-altering-pot-taper-resistor.html

Thanks

So why is there a problem with the taper on my gibson?

4 brand new CTS 500K Audio/log pots

Same wiring as my tokai ( modern)

it suddenly cuts before the end, and it is not a smooth taper.

At what point does it cut out?

Did you measure the resistances before you installed them? Pots generally have very sloppy manufactuing tolerances, on the order of 10-20%.

Latest posts

Back