Questions about "vintage" Burny's.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!!!

Yeah, you are probably right about the finish- for that much more , I probably could have gone to an ls-80... But I have heard differing opinions about the poly finish, but mostly from cheaper guitars.

About the pickup (oops... I did mean the seth lover) I have heard that too- great OD, but not too good a clean sound :-?

I was looking for that perfect blues OD on the neck- almost like jimmy page on the live BBC sessions 8)

The EMG's are AWESOME!!! but they HAVE to be in a good sounding guitar, because they are so crystal clear. They really bring out the woody les paul tone, and you can turn down the tone control (which wont lose tone, because the active pre-amp) and get an awesome passive sound. Also a bell clear cean sound- beautiful!!! But I have to change the pots---

wcgary83 said:
Yeah, you are probably right about the finish- for that much more , I probably could have gone to an ls-80... But I have heard differing opinions about the poly finish, but mostly from cheaper guitars.
I've mentioned it before in some other thread, the Tokai polyurethane finish on my 1984 LS60 is so thin that you can actually see the ripples of the flamed graining at certain angles. And it doesn't feel sticky to me... by the way, this hasn't changed with the brand new Love Rock II that I've reviewed recently. But of course I don't know about Burny poly finishes.

About the pickup (oops... I did mean the seth lover) I have heard that too- great OD, but not too good a clean sound :-?
The Seth Lover is a different pickup than the '59: an Alnico II magnet which does not produce a lot of bass, less output with more compressed mids, so it might be the right neck pickup in your Burny. It's also the standard pickup in the Tokai LS320.

The EMG's are AWESOME!!! but they HAVE to be in a good sounding guitar, because they are so crystal clear. They really bring out the woody les paul tone, and you can turn down the tone control (which wont lose tone, because the active pre-amp) and get an awesome passive sound. Also a bell clear cean sound- beautiful!!! But I have to change the pots---
I once had a Bartolini active bridge pickup in my Ibanez Musician, but could never match it with the passive neck pickups I had at that time, so I sold it, because it had too much output and highs anyhow. If your EMG works passive, too, it might be a good combination.

TO do this, you'll need to replace the circuit board since the EMG requires 25k pots as opposed to the 500k pots on the board. The problem with mixing the active and passive pups is that you'll have very uneven output with the 2 pups on together unless you add an active pre-amp like an EMG afterburner to the passive pup.

I recently had a customer asking me to do this, so I spoke to EMG, and this was their recommendation, or more simply, switch both pups to EMG which is what we did.

personally i think the greco dry PU's are among the best sounding PU's i have ever heard...

the burny vh\1 are close ...but the greco's are in my opinion clearer and crisper ..they are just lovely PU's..

also all burnys have normal tenon and poly finish ...

I agree with villager. :)
greco's PU are really nice. Maybe less catchy at first than Burny's or Edward's PU but fantastic PU.

Back