Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Fraud pls
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_C
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunbury wrote:
Brian_C wrote:
This might sound silly, but have you actually contacted eBay? You'll find they have heard of every scam in the book and they will assist you.

I'd bet my bottom dollar he hasn't thrown it in the bin either.

If all else fails you have his address right......

It's clearly a fraud and I have a name and address - although I can't say for sure that either is real.

The issue now rests with PayPal who are holding the money. They are aware that the buyer was offered and refused a full refund, that I offered to pay for the return of the guitar, and that The Guitar Centre 5 or so miles down the road (in Spruce Grove) had agreed to collect it at my expense - which IMO shows I tried hard to sort this out/get the guitar back. They are also aware that the buyer admitted wilfully damaging and disposing of the guitar after my offer of a collection & refund. And that although he/she lodged the complaint freezing the money just 10 mins after delivery it took those 5 days to decide that the minor issues reported on the day were as nothing to the destruction wrought by Canadian Customs who'd 'torn the guitar apart'.

In my opinion I'm dealing with none-to-bright fraudster. However, I'm not sure which way PayPal will jump.

that's good that you've informed PayPal but MUST also open a complaint with eBay. The longer you wait before informing eBay the worse it looks to them. They will open a complaint and can freeze his eBay account.
Out of curiousity, does the Buyer have good feedback?
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_C wrote:
that's good that you've informed PayPal but MUST also open a complaint with eBay. The longer you wait before informing eBay the worse it looks to them. They will open a complaint and can freeze his eBay account.
Out of curiousity, does the Buyer have good feedback?

OK, thanks for that - I have made a complaint to eBay. The buyer had just two feedback, both positive of course. I failed to check that before shipping and there's a big lesson for me there.

All the correspondence was thro' eBay and I crossed the road to be reasonable.
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a development. PayPal have responded:

"We've determined that the buyer should receive a refund if they send the merchandise back to you. The merchandise will be in the same condition as when the buyer received it and the buyer is responsible for all postage and packaging costs."

The money won't be released unless/until I confirm delivery. I'm sure this is a standard PayPal response, but it puts the buyer in a quandary. The major issues reported as reasons for not returning it came after I offered the refund last week and with the buyer's subsequent admission that he'd "kicked the bastard across the room" and put it in the trash. Later he followed up with "anyways i got rid of it now ,,, firewood" and "it's fuked beyond repair" etc. These were not the minor issues reported to PayPal in the formal complaint 5 days before (or indeed at all - they were only sent to me in eBay messages). So, the guitar has to come back with a loose volume knob, a missing tensioning spring and no volume (probably due to no battery). These are the issues reported to PayPal in the complaint - which was filed as "internal damage".

So, if he/she wants their money back, they have to admit they were lying and therefore, I assume, attempting to swindle me out of the guitar.

Sigmania
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Congrats!
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad Kroeger really going to be pissed now !!! Good for you bud. Fvck him !!
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ lol

But yeah that's great news.
davejm
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see this is looking up for you - not having any knowledge to add I hesitated to make a post until now, but this is the kind of eBay situation I'm sure we all dread so I can certainly empathise.

Thumbs up,
Dave.
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the sake of clarity, I should point out that Kroeger doesn't come from Stony Plain, Alberta! But my guitar kicker does ... And it's a small place.
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal have resolved the dispute in my favour and I have beed paid for the guitar.

I'm sure Stony Plain, Alberta has loads of honest, upstanding citizens and that one bad apple, possibly an imposter, doesn't detract from the rest of them. The folks who run the local Guitar Centre were very helpful too.

brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear this was resolved in your favour !!
davejm
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear justice prevailed.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great news
funkilius
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear it worked out for you..........what a nightmare!!!
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm very relieved that it worked out well.

Although it's tempting to enjoy the thought that the daft idiot is left holding a 'firewood' guitar that he's trashed, I prefer the idea that he was lying and that nobody's smashed a good guitar.

I really don't like the idea of destroying musical instruments. (Sorry Jimi - we were all younger then).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: