Tokai Les Paul Custom?? Korea

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djw171

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need help!
I'm new to the forum and Tokai guitars. Found a real nice Custom LP which the seller says is a 2000's Korean model. The only serial number / writing on the headstock is 050718. Is this a real Tokai? I've read that there were quite a few fakes in Canada at one time.
I also read that around 2000's there were some Korean made Tokai based on the Jap spec!
HELP! I dont want to buy a dud or fake!

Pictures? Can't even fathom a guess without them.

In 2001, there was a series of limited edition MIK Love Rocks based upon MIJ specs - however, they were made for Mikes Music in Canada. I had two of them - the 56 gold top and the 59 sunburst. Good guitars

Thanks
Here's a link
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y540/djw171/tklp03_zpsb9c4db26.jpg

hope it works!

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y540/djw171/tklp01_zpsc7bd583c.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y540/djw171/tklp02_zps83729376.jpg

djw171 said:
I also read that around 2000's there were some Korean made Tokai based on the Jap spec!
Tokai used different woods (basswood, alder, maple necks) on Korean and China production as far as I can tell, but there may be exceptions.
It would make more sense to build Japanese spec guitars in Japan.
Tokai Japan did market LS-45 + 50 bolt on neck mahogany models in mid 1990's.

This would be a 2005 ALC made in China model if not unauthorized.
There are only Black or White finished ALC (Custom) examples in 2003, 2005 + 2007 catalogs,
but stranger things have happened.

The only way to be certain that a 2005-2006 MIC guitar is not an unauthorized copy is to buy from an authorized Tokai dealer.

Thanks for the response. This is what I read before, made me think possible it was the Custom version as it has Klunson type tuners and the serial number in a similar style to a 59 LP:
Custom Shop Love Rocks
These are made in Korea and they are basically the same as the 2001 limited editions. They went back to the original Les Paul design and the 2001 Japanese Les Paul headstock with the little bump in the headstock. See below (2001 Limited Edition Love Rocks for details).
They feature Mahogany body and neck with Flamed Sycamore Top and Rosewood fingerboard. They are serial numbered and hand crafted in Korea to keep the costs down.

2001 Limited Edition Love Rocks
These guitars are designed to be a lower cost version of the Japanese guitar and are built in Korea. These Limited Editions are NOT Korean style Tokais, they are Japanese "Models". In other words they are built to Japanese specs instead of Korean specs. Instead of Alder, they are made with solid mahogany throughout and are set up and constructed like the great Tokai's of the past. Differences between the 2001's and the Original 1970's/80's Love Rocks are mainly in the bridge mount in that the posts were screwed right into the body. Also, I've been told that these guitars have a scarf jointed headstock which is different from the Japanese made Love Rocks.
These guitars are numbered by the model, no serial number. Each of the three models has corresponding numbers stamped on the back in Gold ink like the old 1958-59 Les Pauls. And yes, the Truss Rod Covers say: MM2001 Limited Edition. These are limited guitars. They will stop making these special models in December of 2001.

Well if the seller can guarantee it has a mahogany back and body, then it may very well be a Korean Custom Shop model as you say.
It would certainly explain a non-catalog top and finish, but wouldn't it include some kind of Custom Shop certificate ?
Any pics of the back or neck ? The base of the headstock being cropped in the pic you received is a little unusual.

There is a number range of 600 or greater 05xxxx serial numbered ALS - ALC guitars to date. The pointier center dimple and serial number size and font resemble China build examples, so if your not 99% convinced it is in fact mahogany construction, then proceed with caution. I have seen a number of ALS examples stained to look like mahogany, but the grain underneath can sometimes point to a different wood species (Alder/maple for neck).

If you have any further info on Korean Custom Shop builds to share, we would all benefit, as 2005-2006 are generally more difficult years to identify.

Good luck !

I just remember those Limited Editions from MIke Music, I was about to order one but I finally regret and got my first Love Rock from Yoshi Tsurumi instead (thanks Yoshi!). Those were the time we were learning and there was not many info about Tokai.....

Checking LImited Editions again and altough specs are similar to japanese Love Rocks( I wonder if the wood is the same quality?) I have the scarf join concern and as far as neck is so important in a Les Paul guitar if two pieces would rob some sound, the vibration would not walk through the neck the same way.

Back