finish on reborn LS-60 ..nitro? or poly?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Villager - I have long been intrigued by this too (my brother got a Springy Sound - which I played a lot - back in the early 80's), the finish seems too thin & flexible to be polyester, yet I was sure it isn't nitro like on my '64 Strat (or '81 Love Rock LS-150).

Turns out it's not nitrocellulose, but it's not polyester either ...
- it's polyurethane!

My friends Greg, Bob & I now have almost two dozen 1978 - 1981 Love Rocks & Springys (& one Breezy! - must fix that) between us. We all use the same luthier, Simon Pinder (Clapton, Stones, Bowie etc. etc. - now based in Hong Kong but worked in Japan for several years, & so of course very familiar with Tokai)

Simon found that the lower models - LS-50s & 60s, and also the ST-50s & 60s - have polyurethane finishes (all except one '78 Springy ST 60 which is nitro).

He says that whilst not as good or easy to patch up, work with or repair as nitro (in fact almost impossible, like with polyester), polyurethane is nevertheless way better than polyester, in that it moves with the guitar with the seasons etc, & can be much thinner than the dreaded polyester - which is a '2-pack' finish (often "instant cured" by UV light nowadays) that sets hard like glass - and can crack the same way with seasonal changes in the guitar. Simon explained that the more flexible polyurethane - when applied thinly and expertly like Tokai do - does not impede the tone like polyester can.

Can't offer any definitive information on which models got polyurethane and which got nitrocellulose in any given year, but I hope this is of some use!

Cybercat said:
Can't offer any definitive information on which models got polyurethane and which got nitrocellulose in any given year, but I hope this is of some use!
Usually it's explicitely mentioned in the catalogs if they used nitro lacquer, e.g. on the new LS120F. If they don't mention a special feature, it's supposed to have the cheaper variant (also with other features like lightweight aluminum tailpiece). At least that's what I believe how their catalog descriptions work. It would be great if someone speaking Japanese could try to translate the 1978, 1979 and 1981 catalogs that are provided on the main site, because they are full of verbose information, as you can tell from the pages.

Would be great adding the 1982 catalogue as well (translationwise) :wink:

Hi, H-J! Great work - your review on the LOVE ROCK II!!! :) :lol:

...back from holiday, Hot Rod 8)

Hot Rod said:
Would be great adding the 1982 catalouge as well (translationwise) :wink:
Right, do you have a Japanese girlfriend already?

Hi, H-J! Great work - your review on the LOVE ROCK II!!! :) :lol:
...back from holiday, Hot Rod 8)
Thanks, thought you would like it! :) Any broken legs during the holidays?

No "little itsy bitsy jap girl" yet, I'm working on it :wink:

No broken legs, gliding pilots are "selfish people", especially when flying in the alps :-?

See ya all, Hot Rod 8)

What the hell is sus4add11??? :(

Hi

Because I changed my job in May and got much busier, I have been away from this forum for a few months, but am back to start following discussions gradually.

I checked my old Tokai catologues and found ;

1978&79 : LS-50 and LS-60 both polyurethane
1981 : LS-50 polyester, LS-60 polyurethane, LC-60 polyster

I still do not have enough time to translate everything, but I can do partially like above.

Daizo said:
I still do not have enough time to translate everything, but I can do partially like above.
Great, Daizo! 8) Then this thread is for you... :wink:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=16629

Latest posts

Back