Bought as a TL-120 ???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Comix,
I'm a bit biased as I owned one in the GSR finish...but here goes
The guitar is awesome. It has all the good stuff that Fendqh WISHED they has the expertise to produce. Soft volume it is clear as a bell, turn it up and you get that soft growl...with a maple neck. My rosewood f'board was marginally mellower but with that fat '50s V-neck made from curly maple.
One piece anejo Ash body with a beautiful grain is a headturner but the abalone just kicks it up to 11. If you ever decide to stop playing it, DON'T sell it - instead put it in a glass case and display it in your shop.
regards Peter Mac.
P.S. I sold mine to the vituoso Tommy Emmanuel (Steve Vai's favourite guitarist)

Hi Comix,

Not quite. This would be a TE-120N if all original.
Can you tell me about the neck shape?
The string tree, logo placement and style are all correct but the profile looks a tad rounder than it should be. In my experience, these necks were strongly V ( pre-war D28 Martin had similar necks)

regards
peter mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi Comix,

Not quite. This would be a TE-120N if all original.
Can you tell me about the neck shape?
The string tree, logo placement and style are all correct but the neck profile looks a tad rounder than it should be. In my experience, these necks were strongly V ( pre-war D28 Martin had similar necks)

regards
peter mac

That finish is original and legit IMO...there was also another TL120 at a guitar shop for 120k at the time the private seller sold this one...it was identical and not the same serial as this one.

Same pups and electronics as my prototype 78 TL80/85...ain't they grand :D

Peter - I have TE120 that's very, very similar to Cliff's. I have always thought of it as a 120A. Recently I dug out the paper work that came with it (about 8 yrs ago) and found I have a certificate authenticating it. It says mine is a TE 120NR (rosewood board).

Leaving aside the accuracy/reliability of these certificates, is there such a thing as a TE 120A (as in TE 80A)? If there is a 120A, how is it different to the 120N?

Thanks - Bunbury

Hi Bunbury,
to the best of my knowledge there never was an "A" at the end of the TE-120.
The letters they did use were for colour only : N, GS, YS, with the addition of an "R" if rosewood fingerboard was added.

peter mac

Sharing...............leave nothing but smiles

Thanks guys......

BTW my 1980 TE-120N Breezy Sound

Is off the market...more pictures this weekend...

null_zps8dd61a43.jpg

Back