Revival by Hondo question(s)....and assumtion's.....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50something

Reaction score
I have recently aquired a Revival by Hondo explorer copy guitar CHEAP, but had to literally replace all electronic's, wiring, hardware, and pickguard because it was completely gutted. Also had to repair the broken-off headstock problem. This guitar is now in excellent working order, and has just been thoroughly used in a recording project. EDIT-BTW you can see pic's of this guitar I posted in the "Lawsuit Guitar's" group page of facebook....
What this guitar did come with was a beautiful clear finish that give's the guitar a honey-color appreance....and it has brown binding around the body. With the exception of the neck/headstock repair area, the finish is one of the best clear's I've ever seen on any guitar. I used a couple of light coat's of clear poly over the repair area with no trouble.
The question I have first off is: What is the body wood?
I've read that it is likely Asian Ash....
Also....I'm assuming that this guitar was made by Tokai between 1981 and 1984, because of info I read on this forum. The "baseball" sticker on the back of the headstock is still there, making me believe that it is Japanese manufactured....
And, I was lucky enough to find a "period correct" vinyl Tokai gig bag for this guitar as well.....nice leather-look brown in EXCELLENT shape.....

Latest posts

Back