ObG?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dombat

Reaction score
Do you think it's a real one?
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ORVILLE-BY-GIBSON-PAUL-STANDARD-GUITAR-MIJ-TERADA-Honey-SB-1992-PROJECT-/350775239865?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D12%26pmod%3D350769222171%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7140516640428432472&autorefresh=true#ht_1124wt_1397

dombat said:
Do you think it's a real one?

Not such great shape but from the pics that are posted in the auction I'm pretty sure it's a real OBG. For a cheap enough price the headstock crack's not a deal killer but a neck reset at the body would be. If anyone was considering buying it, be sure and ask about that and get some close-up pics of that area. It was probably kinda beat to begin with (played alot), somebody got it for cheap and stripped it for parts.

It's sure not as bad as a guitar I had years ago that fell out of out of the back of the van on the freeway heading to a gig when I was a kid. Poor thing. It wasn't near in the shape of this one cause it must've got run over about 5 or 6 times before we were able to retrieve the remains from the traffic. We were so dumb (and broke $$) back in those days, we thought we could take it to a luthier and get it repaired. I remember ending up "Hendrixing" on stage one night after that.

Cool
neck reset would be a no no
how can you tell if it does?

Wow what a story
I had a friend that though he lost his brand new strat his wife just bought
He left it on the back of his pickup truck that had the black tarp covering
it was on top of that
it was a blizzard snow storm
and he drove for about 30 miles on the highway
its a miracle the guitar was still sitting there under the snow

Just curious why the ObG guitars would be worth what people are asking? I personally have been more impressed by Fujigen builds than Terada. Would love to know if there is something I am missing.

The Phantom does not know. I have never played an OBG just going by what others say. Sometimes that can be costly.

Are they special? I only saw one used ObG on my recent trip to Japan, and it looked OK without being spectacular. Didn't really pay it much attention.

I have a '92 Japanese book from Mook called "The Gibson" and that lists veneer-topped ObG LPs priced at about 125000 Yen. These appear to have been the top of the range at the time?

However, there are also some dealer ads for ObG including some special editions that are much higher in spec/finish/price. Including some with what look like Zemaitis-like engraved tops at 175000Yen. (Yamano Music 100th Anniversary, it appears). Would have liked to have seen one of those.

ampmaker said:
I have a '92 Japanese book from Mook called "The Gibson" and that lists veneer-topped ObG LPs priced at about 125000 Yen. These appear to have been the top of the range at the time?

Not quite. In 1992, the two top of the line were the solid topped FM (flamed maple), 195 k yen, and QM (quilted maple), 225 k yen. Then, down to the veneer topped.

Mick51 said:
ampmaker said:

Not quite. In 1992, the two top of the line were the solid topped FM (flamed maple), 195 k yen, and QM (quilted maple), 225 k yen. Then, down to the veneer topped.
Yeah baby.
002.jpg

OBG 92 LPS-QM LD

Mick51 said:
ampmaker said:

I imagined there would be higher end models, but they are not listed in this particular book. Which otherwise appears to be made with Gibson's direct help (lots of interviews, drawings, construction photos, etc). Maybe the high-end Japanese guitars were left out so as to not overlap with the American guitars?

Back