1981 Tokai LS120 VVF Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I just got an LS120 that is amazing.

The only issue it has is that there is some separation along the center seam of the top.

I had thought it might be a solid top since the separation was in the center, but no such luck.

I am guessing it must have been in a moist environment or something.

I am waiting to hear back from a local luthier to see if he thinks he can close up the separation. Looks like it's about 1/64" at most, and only goes down into the cap about 1/4" if that.

Anyway, I love this guitar! It sounds absolutely incredible and the action is so low and fast I feel like it's playing itself. Truly magical IMHO.

Just thought I would share.

Oh, and it came with some cool case candy. :D

IMG_2698_zps3330ed24.jpg

See you still have the guarentee card, you could send it back ;)

Agree with Villager, unless your luthier is confident, don't mess with it

wow! fantastic! you lucky--------------------------------person.
my favourite colour, would that be dimarzio's in there as well?
must look, and sound fantastic. :D
where did you manage to find it?

Thanks guys! Yep DiMarzios and it sounds AMAZING!!!!

Bought in Japan.

Thanks guys. This is the Les Paul I was always after.

I will wait and see how the weather in the southeastern US affects the seam separation. It can get fairly humid here in summer. If it closes up more I will have it glued, and then fill whatever is left and try to color match, then cover with nitro cellulose.

Thanks again. I am really happy in spite of the seam separation.

Does anyone know what kind of fretboards these had? Looks like a dark rosewood. I assume Indian rosewood.

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Just heard back from my favorite luthier. My plan is to let it acclimate here in the humid southeast for a few more weeks, then if it's still open have him re-humidify it to Gibson specs and see if it closes, then glue it with thin glue that seeps into small openings. He also suggested testing using a little bleach in a hidden spot under the pup ring to see if he can remove some of the dirt that has built up around the separation.

Will take it slow since I love this guitar so much.

Thanks all.

Interesting to see how this will progress, please keep us posted.

What does this mean? : re-humidify it to Gibson specs

What does this mean? : re-humidify it to Gibson specs

The guitar must have been in a really dry environment in Japan.

He said the wood in Gibsons should be kept at 50% humidity at 70 degrees F I believe.

I just got this guitar back from my luthier.

It sat for months in a humid environment, and the separation closed back up almost totally.

The issue I have is that there is a darker stain along the crack from sweat or whatever getting in there. He tried cleaning it with bleach, but the stain didn't budge.

His suggestion was that if I was planning to keep the guitar, was to not glue or seal it. That if I do that then if I tried to re-finish it later it would be really hard to get that stuff out of the crack.

He is friends with Tom Murphy, and I have seen an incredible custom refinish Tom did on a Les Paul. He said Tom signs inside the pickup cavity then puts the finish over the top. Evidently that can boost the resale value on Gibsons anyway, enough that he thought it could pay for the refinish.

Just wondering what you guys thought should do?

Oh I play it LOL. It's an amazing guitar. Numero uno around here. :wink:

On a serious note, has anyone dealt with this before?

Latest posts

Back