Rick copy RG43

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these are any good? Or where the 2001 model was made?
Does anyone know anything about any Tokai guitars other than the Love Rock or Strat copies?

Please help soon or I may make a big Tokai mistake tonight!!

Richard said:
Does anyone know if these are any good? Or where the 2001 model was made?
Does anyone know anything about any Tokai guitars other than the Love Rock or Strat copies?

Please help soon or I may make a big Tokai mistake tonight!!

Well, I know the Greco Rics are very, very good:
https://sites.google.com/site/innadazeskybluela/grics
http://innadaze.blogspot.com/2009/07/innadaze-greco-rics.html
They are extremely well built and sound and play as well or better than the ones made by the company that killed them.

The biggest issue is that they've been out of production for a while so finding one that's in good shape may be difficult.

Biggest problem with the Greco copies is they are very hard to find in the USA.I bought an RG-80 from a dealer in Japan but it got busted in the mail. The Greco 325 and 350 are solid bodies not semi hollow like the Rickenbackers they copy.

DSCF4605-2-1-1.jpg
DSCF3034-2-1.jpg

Like the look of those two.....thanks for sharing. I've had a look at the Grec pics but never seen one for real.
I bought it anyway as it is in really good condition for its age (11 years old made in Korea confirmed by Bob Murdoch, no serial number) The last owner bought it new from Tokai UK. The pots are Japanese and look to have replaced the originals some time ago. They seem a bit insensitive compared to newer guitars I have. The pickups are the original 'toaster tops'. Hardly a nick in the original lacquer finish. It was a bit grubby but after an evening cleaning it, if you told someone it was only a year old they would probably believe you! Sounds very good - retro.
I was really drawn to it because of the controversy surrounding the Ric copies (and the Ric look). A bit of guitar history and even now Rickenbacker are pulling ads for this type of copy off e bay. A real 'underground' guitar!!
The truss cover does have Tokai on it unlike the Rockinbetter that Tokai made.

Back