Done with Japanese guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phantom, Rolph favourite PAF is a '58 one however,not a '59 and he is a really knowledege man.

Koubayashi said:
Came to a point where I lost all interest for Japanese guitars.
Well, a good guitar is a good guitar so I keep a handful for that sake.

Anyone sharing my "faith"?

I came to this conclusion in 2007/8. For me though it was 'been there done that' having started acquiring them since around 1980. Went on the hunt for old Ibby's first. Then when the original JV's and Tokais hit the streets in the UK around 1982...my wallet kept taking a beating.

Have a few nice vintage pieces from the 50's & 60's that came my way ovet the years too though.

As the boys are saying here, a good guitar is a good guitar don't matter where it's made.

We'll I've always loved and will love my Japanese guitars, however after playing my replica for 3 weeks now has the Phantom stunned.
I have not been able to play any other guitar since I got this.
It's the closest thing to a 59 I will ever get.
It actually sounds better than my #1, and that broke the Phantom's heart.

The Phantom

Phantom said:
We'll I've always loved and will love my Japanese guitars, however after playing my replica for 3 weeks now has the Phantom stunned.
I have not been able to play any other guitar since I got this.
It's the closest thing to a 59 I will ever get.
It actually sounds better than my #1, and that broke the Phantom's heart.

The Phantom

Let's see it :wink:

Who made it? I had the same feeling with my Probett -- definitely beat the Navigators, Momose, vintage Tokai and Greco, nice as they are. I still enjoy playing the latter but it's raised the bar and made me want to sell some erstwhile keepers.

BrazenPicker said:
Who made it? I had the same feeling with my Probett -- definitely beat the Navigators, Momose, vintage Tokai and Greco, nice as they are. I still enjoy playing the latter but it's raised the bar and made me want to sell some erstwhile keepers.
Can we see the Probett too? Is that the English guy Damian Probett?

BrazenPicker said:
Yes, it's Damian. Can't recommend him enough and very reasonable prices, more so if you're in the EU. Brazilian mahogany imported in UK in 1960s, Madagascar RW board, etc.

It's not a straight replica obviously. It has SS frets and no nibs but he does that if you want.

The pictures tell you very little though. It just responds in a way that if I didn't know any better, I'd think it was chambered. I have a couple of MIJs that get close, but it's like the Probett combines all the best things I like in them, and nothing to do with esthetics or neck size and everything.

I like the sound of that! :D

Definitely thinking about something like this. The shaping on the back of the neck joint reminds me of something... 8) Does it feel good?

The sound is incredible. Its old growth Honduran from the 50's and Brazilian.
And even if you didn't know what they are it doesn't matter.
The guitar really does sound like a real 59. As close as it gets.

Back