Love Rock ID

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Nads

Reaction score
Hi - was wondering if I could get some help id'ing this Love Rock. I suspect it's a MIK...TRC, pickup route and bridge are wrong for MIJ. The neck pup only has an F stamped on it, and the bridge is stamped Epiphone. The finish is undoubtedly nitro though...I wasn't aware MIKs were done in nitro. It has a short tenon, but the neck has the offset to the left. There are no numbers. The neck has a scarf joint. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2012-08-17070804_zps4c9d812f.jpg

2012-08-17065501_zps67288928.jpg

2012-08-17065449_zps12aad1ce.jpg

2012-08-17065419_zps5563bc73.jpg

2012-08-17065

2012-08-17065348_zps4353a4f2.jpg

2012-08-17065401_zpsd58f6140.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is MIK, probably dating to somewhere around 2002 based on TRC style and lack of a MIK headstock ink stamp.
Certain MIK models and years have scarf jointed necks.

Unless the serial number was removed, it wouldn't have been made in China.
Nitro finish is extremely unlikely unless stripped + refinished by a 3rd party.
How did you test for nitro finish ?

Hello there!

I am the current owner of this particular guitar. I am still wondering if it is a MIC or MIK. But the pick-up cavity has the two holes like the MIJ ones... :eek:

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My money is on an older MIK. The hardware (metal and plastic), neck joint, and truss rod cover are all wrong for MIJ and a Chinese model or recent MIK would have a serial number and dimpled headstock shape (actually pretty rare to see an undimpled model that's not MIJ).

With that in mind the finish will definitely not be nitro. A burst refinish would cost more than the guitar when it was first bought, and why would you do something like that but fit leftover epiphone pickups? Plus the fact the the flame is a veneer, stripping the old finish would risk destroying it.

(actually pretty rare to see an undimpled model that's not MIJ).

All Tokai guitars sold or on sale in France, MIJ, MIK or MIC are undimpled !

Here are some other pictures of the guitar:
capture

jpg images

screen cap

image upload no compression

img host

I also have GOTOH JAPAN tailpiece and bridge, Epiphone pickup on the bridge position (probably installed by the previous owner) and a WD pickguard. This guitar plays very nicely and is wel built. I am just curious to find where it is from and the approximate year.

For the "nitro" finish, I am not an expert but the guitar smell "smoky" and"sweetened" if I can say that. ;)

Thanks for your help!

Guillaume

Ok fine!

Last question: from the last picture, you can clearly see that someone wrote "LS" on the edge of the neck. So I guess it's an "LS" model :wink: But how do I know if it is an LS-40, LS-45, etc?

Thanks again!

Guillaume

I wouldn't say that you can 'clearly' read LS on that neck. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. :-?

Having said that, if we run with the theory that it's an older MIK I would say it's an ALS48. There's a picture of one in the 2000 catalogue that looks identical to yours.

Is it possible to identify which type of wood was used for the body and the neck/fretboard according to the pictures posted above?

Thanks again!

Guillaume

Well, the fretboard is rosewood but the rest can't be identified by sight. The top is a veneer.

According to the 2000 catalogue the ALS48 has a maple neck and an alder body.

Latest posts

Back