Dating my tokai LS 160

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmintan

Reaction score
i bought a tokai LS 160 from these forums in 2010. Owner said its a 1009 model, and i dont doubt him at all, but i cant date it based on what is detailed on this site.

The bottom of the back of the headstock says "made in japan", stamped on in ink.

The top of the back of the headstock has the serial 1022xxx

Based on info here, 10xxxxx is an 1981 model. Im pretty sure this isnt a 1981 model though.

Any thoughts or ideas on what date the guitar might be?

also, besides what a shop seller says, or dismantling the guitar, is there any way to say if its actually an LS 160?

Well, 2010 models start with 10 in the serial number. The made in Japan stamp wasn't around in '81 so that seals that it is a 2010 model. Is it a UK model ?? with dimple on headstock ?? I know that they have different specs. You should be able to use this as a guide to figure out your model, if there is no indication in the pup cavities, you should check there when you next change strings. Otherwise a LS-160 should have a one piece back. Here are some catalog pics to help you.

317jcio.jpg

2f0g3yv.jpg

2010 model.

To check if it's an LS160.
Brass saddles, aluminium tailpiece, switchcraft pickup switch, CTS pots, check those things, that should confirm an LS160.

Latest posts

Back