1985 Love Rock Questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed in your last photo that those are locking tuners which are not original. Nice guitar

Yeah. I hate these! Nice idea, but a huge pain when installiing the strings. Probably a trick I am not aware of.

Any idea if the originals were stamped "DELUXE" OR TOKAI"?

Thanks for the compliment. Have to string it up & play it for the first time. :-?

Looks like these are good replacements? Since my headstock was probably drilled I assume they would fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kluson-Tune...896?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c2ba9d5d0

T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQ4qBQHbHOcVZQ60_57_zps0cf6ceab.jpg

My second pic is if the original tuners which are stamped Deluxe.

Yes the whole headstock is a MOP veneer. They seem to have used a stencil cutout for the name then sprayed it black.

Nice guitar btw!

Thanks. Some guys on the Ibanez Collector's World forum with better eyes than mine noted that it looked like a veneer top. I took a close-up shot with the flash and it does look like a veneer top.

If the pickups are original and since it has the one piece body I assume this is an LS80.

If they were replaced and had been DiMarzios originally that would mean it's an LS100.

Would love to know what you guys think the model is and if the electronics look original.

Thanks!

IMG_1981_zpsc361ec59.jpg

tokai1985TLSjpg_zps0494efc7.jpg

I just played it for the first time at low volume. :D Pickups sound decent. Have a nice crunch when driven.

Neck is fat but not a baseball bat or anything. Are these made to 59 Gibson specs? I can't remember if this is thinker than my 2007 Gibson R9 was or not.

Pickup selector was spun upside down. EZ fix. Second vintage guitar I have had like that. I guess it's a preference thing?

IMG_1948_zpsbb48bd7a.jpg

Just noticed one tone knob is different. It is lighter colored and cracked.

I assume it's a replacement and the others are original.

Anyone know where I can find an amber knob to match the other 3?

Thanks

IMG_1841_zps7cdfa443.jpg

Regarding pups a LS-80 shoud have 57 PAFs stock, these came with a sticker on the back, seeing the wires it seems they could match but not 100% sure. I feel wiring very suspicious as far a pink cable is very odd in Tokai, as far as we are talking about a second hand 27 years old guitar it can have been moded by previous owners.

Veneer flamed top is not so bad as far as it has a solid maple cap below. It is common for 84-85 Love Rocks as some specs were changed then. I would like to own one,maybe someday....

It is a very nice guitar, hoes does it plays and feels?

Thanks Luis. It plays well. Action is low. I still have not fully tested the pickups.

I am getting 8.2 lbs on the bathroom scale. Pretty cool.

So the case could be from 1986 on? Seller insists it is a late 80s early 90s case, and won't back down.

Just flipped the pickup selector switch and tested the guitar.

I may be imagining it, but it sounds alot better since moving that switch.

The pickups sound pretty amazing to me. The neck pickup is pretty dynamic for a neck pickups. This one is a keeper for sure.

Would love to hear from you guys if you think the pickups are original to the guitar.

Thanks for all the help! Great forum!

Regarding pups a LS-80 shoud have 57 PAFs stock, these came with a sticker on the back, seeing the wires it seems they could match but not 100% sure. I feel wiring very suspicious as far a pink cable is very odd in Tokai, as far as we are talking about a second hand 27 years old guitar it can have been moded by previous owners.

The pink wire is for the jack.

IMG_1949_zps13d88e92.jpg

Anyone else have any input on what model this is?

If everyone thinks the electronics are original, I am going to call it an LS80. ;)

For disclosure, mine was rewired to 50's specs and everything electrical replaced - but I distinctly remember a pink wire in there coming from the jack socket. :)

As for model, short of actually having the original sticker, its a little hard to 100% verify model on the 1985 LS IMHO, as there are so many anomalies compared to the published catalouges.
For instance, I was constantly told that my TRC was not original to the guitar as Tokai never used the bell since the Reborn models, yet here we are seeing quite a few 1985 models all with the same Bell TRC. mine came with it and I never replaced it. ;) Also for an LS 50 it should be 3 piece back, but is one piece. Yet higher models should have either a maple veneer or FEB etc...

Barks, Do you have the original case? If so, can you post a pic?

Thanks

Since you mentioned fret edge bindings, I thought I would post pics of my frets.

IMG_1928_zpsdae7a6a3.jpg

IMG_1925_zps91d6e9c1.jpg

No, I never had an original case. It has lived in a genuine Gibson case for the last 20 years...hoho.

Edit...looking closely at you binding, it looks like it may have once had nibs, consequently removed with a refret? Hard to tell.
Btw...
If I sold mine and someone consequently asked questions about it, it would be very difficult to verify its model etc, as many things have been done over 28 years to this hard working guitar to keep it operational.
It'll get to the point where only the wood is original to the guitar, as is the case with my Goldstar!
I find it possible that it'll suddenly be of no interest to collectors, even though its a fine instrument. Mine are workhorses and mechanics wearout. :)

Edit...looking closely at you binding, it looks like it may have once had nibs, consequently removed with a refret? Hard to tell.

I am not seeing the remnants of nibs. Maybe marks from filing the frets? I don't know, but nothing raised up above the plane of the binding edge.

IMG_2009_zps7812aec1.jpg

IMG_2013_zpsabae3884.jpg

I just bought a 1981 LS120, so I will likely be selling this guitar soon. If I hadn't found the LS120 I never would think of selling the LS80. These guitars are amazing!

I may end up keeping this in the end.

I cannot believe the tone of this guitar thru my Rivera Chubster 40w.

Amazing!

Nice thread :D

Reading it made me understand how you gradually discovered and loved the Love Rocks!!

The only bad thing is that you all get me GASing for a vintage one!!

2007 LC185 is trying to hold its ground :p :p

I say keep em both!

Latest posts

Back