Tokai purchasing advice please! LS85F MIJ

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3M0N1C

Reaction score
Ello folks,

I've been offered a brand new, unused, Tokai LS85F MIJ. Brought from Richtone Music Store in 2006 by a collector. I'm struggling to find an average secondhand price for them so not sure if its a good deal or not.

FINISHED IN TOKAI'S VIOLIN BURST, THE SPECIFICATION READS AS FOLLOWS;
BOOKMATCHED & FLAMED SYCAMORE TOP ON MAPLE CAP.
SOLID MAHOGANY BODY.
MAHOGANY ONE PIECE SET NECK.
HEADSTOCK ANGLE 18 DEGREES.
ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARD.
LS-VB BRIDGE.
LS-VT TAILPIECE.
BONE NUT 43 mm.
DISH INLAYS.
PAF VINTAGE MK2 PICK UPS.
2 x VOLUME, 2 x TONE.
3 WAY TOGGLE SWITCH.

Its almost exactly the same spec as the LS95F I was looking at for ?870.

Does anyone have any info or buying tips? What to look out for to make sure its genuine? I would be picking up in person and can probably get images of the serial number etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Les-Paul-LS85-MIJ-/230934953711?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AGB%3A1123&item=230934953711&nma=true&si=1PQd1FTVTwKPXo5gFh0O0dtnP2A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

What would you pay for it?
Cheers.

Cool, Yeah the listing has ended but I've made a private offer on it.
I couldn't find much on prices for them so I just made him an offer a bit less than the asking price.
You think its worth between ?500-?600 then?
Thanks for the help :D

What it's worth is always a tricky one - it's a personal thing, what are you willing to pay for that guitar? Personally I'd say yes, it's worth it. They are great guitars.

Hey dudes, thanks for the input, I appreciate it :wink:

I've got it for ?500 if I want it :D

How does the spec of your LS80 compare to the LS85F Felix?

I don't think I'm gonna get a better quality guitar for the same price really, my final choice was the Tokai LS85F, something very similar, or the Gibson L6S.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_l6s_silverburst.htm

Specifications - Tokai LS80
Made in Japan
Plain Maple Two Pieces Top
Solid Mahogany Back
Mahogany one piece set neck
Headstock Angle 18 Degs.
Rosewood fingerboard
300R Radius
625/312.5mm Scale
22 Frets
Dish Inlays
Bone Nut 43mm Wide
Tokai PAF MK2 pickups
3 way toggle switch
2 Volume, 2 Tone Switch
LS-VB Bridge
LS-VT Tailpiece
Nickel hardware

?500 is a very good price for that as far as I'm concerned! I thought it was OK at the eBay asking price of 649 given its condition.
And that Gibson will be rubbish in comparison to the Tokai.

nickdsmith said:

Played it have you? :roll:

Personally I really detest Silverburst, but that L6 type is so different to a LP that I don't think the OP should consider it if a LP type is what they want.

Is ?500 a good price for an LS98F?

Well, it's about "cost" price from the Tokai factory with a bit of shipping added...I'd say YES it's an incredible price.

Btw, it's not Violin Finish, it's Heritage Dark Cherry.

Here's the identical guitar, Cherryburst in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpZ9hEGJv0E&feature=youtu.be

JVsearch said:
nickdsmith said:

Personally I really detest Silverburst, but that L6 type is so different to a LP that I don't think the OP should consider it if a LP type is what they want.
OK so perhaps I was exaggerating a bit.
But I'm sure we'd all agree that a Tokai that would cost new today more than that Gibson would be a better made guitar.

Evenin chaps,

Thanks for all the info :wink:

We cut a deal at ?500, I should be going down next week to get it. He assures me its absolutely spanking and has never even been strummed :D

The guys a collector and doesn't even play the guitar, hes got a few Tokais for sale actually if anyone's interested? Another LS85F and a pair of Limited Edition Tokai Anniversary LS1000's, 2 of only 100 made apparently, they'd be waaay outta my budget, but I'll get to see them at least.

Can anyone give me any tips on verifying its genuine?

Two screw truss rod?
Made In Japan stamp on back of neck?
Stamped serial on back of neck?
Made In Japan electronics?

I have the serial number.

Cheers.

nickdsmith said:
JVsearch said:
nickdsmith said:

OK so perhaps I was exaggerating a bit.
But I'm sure we'd all agree that a Tokai that would cost new today more than that Gibson would be a better made guitar.

I think the Tokai would probably have better build quality (and probably at all price levels), but in my experience build quality is not the only factor in getting a good sounding guitar.

I do have a soft spot for Gibson though (as the creator of the LP and other beautiful designs who wouldn't?), and never had any issues with the ones I've owned in the past.

Back