Meet my ES100R

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chesterreddragon

Reaction score
20120709_220650.jpg

Hi all, thought I'd share my lovely 1981 ES100R with you (virtually anyway). I've had this fabulous guitar since 1983, bought new in a sale from A1 music in Manchester. The first electric guitar I owned and I didn't buy another for over 15 years - didn't see the need!
I've had to replace the machine heads with identical gotohs but apart from that she's totally original (sorry for the "she" but that's how I've always thought of her - must be the curves!) Ocassionaly called Louise as I usually play her through a Selmer (weak pun I know).

A playing guitar yet somehow I've managed to not make a mark on her other than a tiny dent in the neck. I've never liked pickguards on 335 style guitars so it came off on the day I bought her.

I've played a few actual 335's over the years and wouldn't swap - this baby sings I and I can't remember life without her. Over the years the colour has become darker, the binding has yellowed nicely and the nickel plated hardware has developed a true vintage lustre. Wearing better than me :D

Nice... love the color and wood detail on yours.

81 was the first and regarded by some, one of the best years for the Tokai ES range. It was the only year that any of them came with two different types of pickups in them - the R(ock) and the J(azz)

I have the J version and like yourself, I'll never sell it. It'll eat a Gibson for lunch.

I've never played or heard a J version, would be very interesting to compare the two pick up outputs/tones - I must find one somewhere! They really did make them well - what a neck.

Chesterreddragon said:
I've never played or heard a J version, would be very interesting to compare the two pick up outputs/tones - I must find one somewhere! They really did make them well - what a neck.

The R(ock) pickups were a bit hotter than the J(azz). Yeah, nice neck on them.... as close to a 59 ES335 as I've ever played.

Here's the J model from the 81 catalog (no translation) and here's mine:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/81cat_p8.jpg

And there are a couple of photos of mine at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14747&highlight=es100j

20120709_220650.jpg

Hi all, thought I'd share my lovely 1981 ES100R with you (virtually anyway). I've had this fabulous guitar since 1983, bought new in a sale from A1 music in Manchester. The first electric guitar I owned and I didn't buy another for over 15 years - didn't see the need!
I've had to replace the machine heads with identical gotohs but apart from that she's totally original (sorry for the "she" but that's how I've always thought of her - must be the curves!) Ocassionaly called Louise as I usually play her through a Selmer (weak pun I know).

A playing guitar yet somehow I've managed to not make a mark on her other than a tiny dent in the neck. I've never liked pickguards on 335 style guitars so it came off on the day I bought her.

I've played a few actual 335's over the years and wouldn't swap - this baby sings I and I can't remember life without her. Over the years the colour has become darker, the binding has yellowed nicely and the nickel plated hardware has developed a true vintage lustre. Wearing better than me :D
I too have an ‘81 ES100R. You must be the only person I have met that bought it new in the golden era of Tokai. Love these models. Had mine since 95. Tobacco sunburst.

Attachments

• IMG_7454.jpeg
    IMG_7454.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back