U stamped or E stamped Should I change my pickup

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nossnevs

Reaction score
Hi
What is the difference in sound with a U stamped or E stamped pickup ?
I am a little bit confused, some say that the E is better quality and some say that the U have a better sound ?
I have a very old Tokai Strat. SpringySound ST 55 (serienr.L00500)
The pickup are all 3 grey with a U stamped. It plays and sound fantastic.

I have found 2 old pickup?s from a Tokai ( 1980 -81) Both are grey and E stamped. So my question is.... what will happen with the sound if I change 2 of the pickup ( neck and middle). I know it must be a matter of taste but I would like your opinion and knowledge, and what people mostly like. Good things and bad things. I don?play heavy, but rhythm and blues.

Thank you
Michael

The simple answer to that is just try them and see what you think. Typically, the U's are a litte bit hotter than the E's which have a more vintage output.

Neither type is "better" than the other - only your ears can determine than in terms of what you are looking for in terms of tone and how they sound in YOUR guitar.

okay thanks, So more output in the U, and therefore less noise I assume.
I thought it was the other way around, that the E had more output, and is a better pickup, than the U?s because the E is mounted in the more expensive Tokais like the st 60 st 80. In my opinion it must be better with a pickup that has more output, thats why i get confused and do not understand that the E pickup has status as a better pick up. Hope this make sense.
But ok, I have to try to swap pick up?s

Give them a try and see what you think. If it were me, I'd put the E's in the neck and the bridge - but that's just me because I play the middle pickup quite a bit and also because it would be nice to have the extra punch in the middle pickup if you play the out of phase positions II and IV

Actually, you could try several different combinations and find the one you like best. The difference between the E's and U's is not huge but it's enough that you can tell.

In my opinion, there is a brighter tone and more output in the U?s.
I think this is better, for my taste, and just wondering why the E?s are
mounted in the more expensive Tokais, but may- bee that?s just me.

nossnevs said:
In my opinion, there is a brighter tone and more output in the U?s.
I think this is better, for my taste, and just wondering why the E?s are
mounted in the more expensive Tokais, but may- bee that?s just me.

Because the E's are wound to vintage specs and output

I would try the E's in the neck and middle first, that should balance things up rather nicely. :)

Latest posts

Back